Motul made in Italy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

Does anyone have any information regarding Motul brands made in Italy? I've put Motul X-cess 5w40 to my car's engine - a five-liter jug that says it was made in Italy. It's been made in France so far and it's been written that it's been manufactured by Motul. This statement is no longer on the label (see link). I was wondering whether they had a factory in Italy? Where is it located exactly? Is oil manufacturing outsourced to another Italian manufacturer? No information on the official site though after digging in it. Any ideas?

Regards

Originally Posted By: procdump
Hi there,

Does anyone have any information regarding Motul brands made in Italy? I've put Motul X-cess 5w40 to my car's engine - a five-liter jug that says it was made in Italy. It's been made in France so far and it's been written that it's been manufactured by Motul. This statement is no longer on the label (see link). I was wondering whether they had a factory in Italy? Where is it located exactly? Is oil manufacturing outsourced to another Italian manufacturer? No information on the official site though after digging in it. Any ideas?

Regards

Probably outsourced to some Italian refinery. All oil manufacturers are doing that.

Quote:
France has been at the forefront of refinery closures, anticipating market movements and suffering just as much as the UK from the fate of Petroplus, which owned two plants in France (the Reichstett and Petit-Couronne refineries, stopped in 2011 and 2012). Furthermore, Total sold one of its six refineries in the country (Dunkerque, 2010), reducing its capacity by 20% to around 800,000 b/d, and another closure by LyondellBasell (Berre l’Etang, 2012) left France some 110,000 b/d shorter. Overall, France has given up almost 30% of its total operating capacity.

Campagnolo is the only good product that comes from Italy.Maybe Ducati.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: CT8
grin.gif

AGREE on the Campy (the ONLY gruppo that will ever go on my road bikes, unless SRAM starts actually manufacturing their parts HERE in the USA!).

But Aprilia is not too bad, no??

And Ferraris, despite their build quality, DO have 'panache'.
wink.gif

Well, it is interesting to see the attitude of people to products from Italy.

At least they were not mixed up in anything similar to 'dieselgate'. As of September 2015 labels 'made in Germany' probably worth less than 'made in Italy' to me.

A short update on the topic - I noticed Motul X-Clean that's also labeled as being made in Italy. Well, it really does seem that they're moving their manufacturing to Italy. So where's the factory - is it theirs? I personally doubt. It's probably an Italian oil maker and they just label it as Motul. To me that probably means that they'll change their quality - new manufacturer, new base supplies, new workers thus new quality after all. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: volodymyr

Actually they are 5th in EU by GDP and economy

And they are producing quite good and respected oils...Agip/Eni or Selenia brand

At least they were not mixed up in anything similar to 'dieselgate'. As of September 2015 labels 'made in Germany' probably worth less than 'made in Italy' to me.

Hmmm, you would not buy Ferrari, Lamborghini? Since when Italian products are cheap? Alfa Romeo had its own issues, but always had its own followers.

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N

Actually they are 5th in EU by GDP and economy

And they are producing quite good and respected oils...Agip/Eni or Selenia brand

Italian economy is just bit smaller then Russian, and they do not have oil!

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: CT8
grin.gif

AGREE on the Campy (the ONLY gruppo that will ever go on my road bikes, unless SRAM starts actually manufacturing their parts HERE in the USA!).

But Aprilia is not too bad, no??

And Ferraris, despite their build quality, DO have 'panache'.
wink.gif

Ferrari Bah! Yes on the Aprilia though .

Actually Agip/Eni is only Eni and Selenia is owned (and its oils produced) by Petronas (Malaysia). Though I don't say these oils are worse - actually have had some great results with Eni 10W-60, just mentioning some facts.
And I don't know a normal person who would refuse buying a Ferrari if he/she could...I think it's more question of possibilities than pure will.

Originally Posted By: Thebimmerfan

Actually Agip/Eni is only Eni and Selenia is owned (and its oils produced) by Petronas (Malaysia). Though I don't say these oils are worse - actually have had some great results with Eni 10W-60, just mentioning some facts.
And I don't know a normal person who would refuse buying a Ferrari if he/she could...I think it's more question of possibilities than pure will.

That is recently. Selenia was the name long before Petronas took them over.

Originally Posted By: Thebimmerfan

I don't like the current styling of Ferrari's... I'd buy a 288 GTO or 512BB if I could/wanted

new, I'd buy a Maserati.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
That is recently. Selenia was the name long before Petronas took them over.

Well, not so recently, Petronas acquired Selenia in 2007, almost eight years.

Selenia are still being produced in Italy in relationship with FPT, despite changed ownership. It changed owners more than one time.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
I don't like the current styling of Ferrari's... I'd buy a 288 GTO or 512BB if I could/wanted

new, I'd buy a Maserati.

I prefere some classic Ferrari models also like Daytona 365, F40 or Testarossa, but TBH 458 Italia or F60 Enzo are some gorgeous cars...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back