1966 Ford Galaxie 500 428ci Conv For Sale Near Me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks.....

Absolutely original paint, and it glows. Had to be totally garage kept. Has all the receipts & books. I'd do the "magnet test" before I got ultra-serious though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andrewg
Originally Posted By: Turk
Thanks.....

Absolutely original paint, and it glows. Had to be totally garage kept. Has all the receipts & books. I'd do the "magnet test" before I got ultra-serious though.

Geez man...if that car was available around here, I'd have probably bought it by now.

Does it look like this:
http://www.pictures.musclecarjungle.com/ford/galaxie/1966-galaxie-500-convertible-428.jpg.html

Yes sir! The new top is black though. It also has the little 428 emblem behind the front wheelwells.

I have lack of garage storage space, so he even said he'd store it in his garage for the Winter.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
numbers matching?

If you are buying it to flip, there is little to no money to be made.

If you are buying it to keep and enjoy then if its in the budget and you can justify the fun/thrill/enjoyment of your hard earned money then go from there.

Do a thorough investigation of numbers matching, body repairs and damage, filler/bondo..frame and pan condition etc.

Not a super highly desired car..so the cool factor is what you feel in the seat for the most part.

Everything is original but the engine. It originally came with a 428 as well.

That's the thing; it's not super desirable. Darn nice though!

How many super desirable 60s classics with original paint go for 15k?

Does it have bucket seats front and rear?
That along with the console-mounted T-bar shifter would support it being an original 428 car. I'm not sure about those wheeels though, they are definitely factory wheels but I thought the 428's came with the mag looking wheels. Maybe they were just an option.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Can you take some pics of it or is the car listed on CL by chance?

Well, by golly, here it is right here!!!

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/cto/5180904977.html

Look at the door hinges in the 2nd pic. No rust, no sagging.
Has factory Cruise Control.

Dang man! Very attractive car in my opinion. I'd love to have that in my garage.
I'd slowly spend some money getting everything reconditioned/restored. Then I'd keep it until I croaked. That car would be so enjoyable on a nice, sunny Sunday drive!

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Can you take some pics of it or is the car listed on CL by chance?

Well, by golly, here it is right here!!!

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/cto/5180904977.html

Look at the door hinges in the 2nd pic. No rust, no sagging.
Has factory Cruise Control.

Dang man! Very attractive car in my opinion. I'd love to have that in my garage.
I'd slowly spend some money getting everything reconditioned/restored. Then I'd keep it until I croaked. That car would be so enjoyable on a nice, sunny Sunday drive!

Yea, my Dad had a 1963 & 1967 Galaxie 500, both bought brand new.
PLUS, he let me drive his 1971 Galaxie 500 when I was 16. 400ci + a low speed rear end.
smile.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Definitely have an affinity toward them.
smile.gif

You gave us a link to it-does that mean that you think we are honorable folk that won't snap it up from you, or did you decide to pass? Maybe other local 'Ford guys' have noted issues as it's still available?

Originally Posted By: Lapham3
You gave us a link to it-does that mean that you think we are honorable folk that won't snap it up from you, or did you decide to pass? Maybe other local 'Ford guys' have noted issues as it's still available?

I probably better pass, too many cars now anyway...

Check it out and/or snatch it up!!!

Originally Posted By: Lapham3

I probably better pass, too many cars now anyway...

Check it out and/or snatch it up!!!

Three words my friend. GO FOR IT!!!!
You can always sell something to make room for it. LOL

This looks quite similar to a 7 liter. They also had a 428 V8, front bucket seats and a console. The 7 liter had mag look wheel covers, 7 liter emblems (instead of 428 flags) and the few I've seen had pin striping that really emphasized those beautiful body lines. They're one of my favoursite cars.

I'd be interested in any other comments on the differences between a Galaxie 500 XL with a 428 V8 and a 7 liter. 427 cubic inches is actually closer to 7 liters than 428 ci is, but I've never seen a 7 liter with anything but a 428 V8.

In any case, this is one gorgeous car.

The 427 was an option above the 428 but was very rare. Any original 427 spec'd Galaxie would be worth some serious bucks today. For $15,000 this car would not have lasted this long. Die hard Ford guys know what they are worth. 36 hardtops and two convertibles were all that were ever optioned out from the factory with the 427. PS, PB, and AC was not optional on these engines.
The 427 is a 11.1:1 compression solid lifter engine. The W-code 4 barrel 427 made 410 HP and R-code 427 dual quad carb 427 made 425hp. The 427 was a 4 bolt main block. It came standard with a 4 speed Trans, no automatic was available (the car listed is an auto). Compared to the 428 the 427 was a short stroked engine. It was designed to run high rpm. Big cam, big fuel.
In comparison, the 428 was designated with a Q in the 5th digit of the VIN. 10.5:1 compression ratio, used a single four-barrel carb and hydraulic lifters and a 2 bolt main block. It was designed as more of a crusier compared to the 427. Longer stroke, under cammed and under fueled. The 427 was Fords performance engine, the 428 was a cruiser. Both were some dang good engines.

I know if that were a '67 GTX vert, or a '66 Chevelle with a big block + 4 barrel and orig paint it would be $25K-$30K or more. The big block Ford shouldn't be lagging that much. For numbers matching engine in 1966 all you really need are the date codes to match the build date/scheduled production date of the car. A replacement engine on a pre-1968 muscle car is much less an issue than the 68 and later when they started stamping the blocks with VIN/SON numbers. By 1969 they were all getting VINs stamped on the engine/trans.

Be leery of so called orig-paint cars being sold by the "10th owner." Most enthusiasts can't tell original paint. And a lot of older repaints in the 1980's and 1990's are worn enough to almost look like "orig paint" again. Get out the paint thickness gauge to be sure. I've gone to see "orig" paint cars that were either completely repainted or had a couple of body panels redone. Those don't quite qualify for the orig paint premium that a fussy collector would want. These days, a lot of nice original paint cars in sharp #3/#2 condition are bringing as much as restored cars. But they have to be all there. Butchered or screwed with cars don't cut it.

$17K is cheap for a quality, 1-2 owner, >80% orig paint, mostly original drive train/suspension/engine bay/interior, big block 60's convertible. Having documentation is important too (build sheet or window sticker, and other orig docs from early in the car's life). Odometers have been rolled back on some of these orig paint cars to simulate a really low mileage one. One orig paint car ('69 gtx) I bought was rolled back from 80K to 16K. I figured that out when I traced back to the orig owner and got all the DMV documents from the first 2 owners. The orig owner told me he sold the car with high miles...not 16K, lol. Due diligence is the key word when purchasing a "potential" orig paint, survivor car. I've never seen a 100% orig paint car when the miles were over 50K. Most have been touched up somewhere. Owners want to take their cars to shows and win trophies. The urge to touch up weak spots is strong....all for that $12 trophy.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I would check to see what like cars are going for, if they are going for. You know this car so it makes it more valuable to you. Doesn't sound like your buying the car to flip, so the value really depends on how valuable to you. People pay too much all the time and are perfectly happy with their purchase. I can assure you buying one already redone is much cheaper than doing it from scratch yourself.

+1
It's always cheaper to buy something in good driver condition than it is to buy a rag and restore it to decency.
The top alone must have run around two grand, and a fitted top is not a good DIY project. The top itself costs too much to mess up.
15K sounds like reasonable money for this car.
If it were a 427 Impala of similar vintage in similar condition, it would be at least five grand more to buy.
A 427 Ford would be really special, but they're pretty rare and their pricing reflects that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back