Newbie questions regarding Noack and MOS2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to first thank the members of this forum for providing me with such a wealth of information that has allowed me to make a data-based astute/informed decision as to what Oil I use in the cars that are under my care.

•I am currently taking care of a 2002 Volvo XC70 2.4T. Thanks to these forums I run 0-40 (mobil or castrol) or a 5w-40 (Shell Rotella ) with liqui mollyMOs2. Bought the car with 170k-previous owner used Penzoil Oil ultra 5w-40. Car runs well-consistent power delivery and no oil consumption ( non that I can see on the dipstick anyway. Now at 195k. Thanks to these forums I can run a 40 weight and have money left for books:)

• I am also taking care of my mothers 2008 Lexus IS250 AWD that we have owned since new-always serviced at the dealer. Car has 90k on it now, dealer has done the recalls regarding the carbon build up that these engines are known for. In the last 30K the car has been run on Mobil 5w-30 plus a dose of liqui molly MOS2. While the car had the Pistons replaced 9 months ago. I am (reluctantly) letting the dealer use their bulk 5w-30 as to not compromise the warranty work they did on the car( one year warranty). The latest data on oil's that use Ca in their additive ( ie. Inexpensive oil) in use with DI engines makes me want to change the oil in the Lexus as soon as the warranty is up.

My questions are;

I am looking for an oil that has a low noack and is readily available. OCI's will be 5k as the car is short tripped.
"More" oil changes was the solution to fuel dilution on the old Mercedes Gull Wing that was fuel and direct injected; so I think I'll follow suit.
I am considering Mobil or Castrol 0w-40 due to their 'light" hts values(within the 40 weights) and their ability to stay "in grade" after a tiny amount of shearing. The IS250 also has a Timming Chain. I am open to 5w-30's. It would be nice ( though not necessary) to be able to buy a 40 weight for both the Volvo and the Lexus.

Lastly, does liqui Molly MOS2 increase the Noack ( volatility ) of the oil?

MOS2 and noack. That's tricky.

Adding a colloidal solid to oil seems to increase the flash and fire point.

I'd say the Noack goes slightly down with solid particles added.

search for this paper; Tribological properties and stabilization study of surfactant modified MoS2 nanoparticle in 15W40 engine oil

Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge 0w-40

Yes, I would happily run those oils in both cars.

They are both top shelf, well developed oils, so I would run them as-is, without adding the extra MoS2.

These are the last oils that need help, save yourself the money and skip the moly. Some here will disagree, but I don't mind MoS2 in Dino, but not synthetic.

Follow the dealer in warranty - period. Once out of warranty, why not Rotella T-6 for both? They have enough miles to need a bit more viscosity and the extra detergency will help keep them clean gently.

The turbo will be quite happy. I hate turbo failures. Their bearing are subject to the highest RPM of any component in your systems and they love HDEO's
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back