fried toyota

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of 90's cars were what one would consider overbuilt by today's standards.

I bet that today's Toyota with 0W20 in the sump would not take too kindly to the same overheat situation. The same goes for the majority of new cars today. Probably just the plastics under the hood alone would be the first ones to go.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Hottest toyota i have seen was a 2.5l [email protected] american was a 302 in a ford @358. The toyota died.the ford somehow ran several years after

We seized a 3.8 Ford in one of the small LTD's numerous times. We blew the rad on the first trip out to the field and drove it for probably 30 minutes with no coolant in it until it seized. Let it cool down, it fired back up. We did this for weeks and it just kept running. We eventually rolled it, which signalled time for the wreckers.

We had similar luck with a Tempo in terms of engine durability but the transmission only lasted a couple of days in the field.

I have done overheats where the valve seat inserts have fallen out of the head from the heat. Fix the head and they ran just fine.

Originally Posted By: zach1900
If it's a 4cyl, almost the entire dipstick represents only 1 quart of oil, nothing shows up on the dipstick until the last and final qt when changing the oil.

The 5S-FE engine doesn't tolerate low oil levels too well - it's a known issue on the Camry/MR2/Celica forums. And they tend to leak oil from 2 places - oil pump cover and distributor.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
the overflow cap is melted to the reservoir. The radiator cap is also melted into the radiator. There is grey muddy stuff (possibly stop leak in the reservoir.

Pics please!

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
We had similar luck with a Tempo in terms of engine durability but the transmission only lasted a couple of days in the field.

Not surprising - the Tempo's 2.3L was a 300 I6 missing 2 pistons. IIRC the early ATX autos were not that stout either.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: xracer390
Newbie with a 97 Camry also. 323,000 miles and purrs like a kitten. Never Synthetic oil. Never babied it. Did valve cover gaskets and its clean as a whistle inside.

No need for synthetic oil to have a clean, smooth running engine.

If Im not mistaken this was a high sludge motor. This one has had none.

Originally Posted By: xracer390
Newbie with a 97 Camry also. 323,000 miles and purrs like a kitten. Never Synthetic oil. Never babied it. Did valve cover gaskets and its clean as a whistle inside.
The BITOG hive will never believe your Camry made it over 62,000 miles on conventional oils.

The grey stuff in the overflow is from the plastic melting in the Radiator. Seen it way to many times, do to the line of repairs I was in. The worst melt downs I ever saw were a 4.0 jeep and my sisters Honda. The Honda hit something in the road, damaged the rad and was driven at highway speeds till it died 35 miles later. It got so hot it melted the outer timing belt cover into a big blob and anything else plastic within 3 inches of the motor. The Jeep blew a water pump and was driven till it died. The two outer cylinders had 20 psi compression and all others had 0. We pulled the head to see what it looked like. The 4 center pistons were just melted. Not like a burnt piston. It was more like molten Alum. It was awesome sight. We kept a rod/piston for the longest time as a great conversation piece. Oh yes it melted everything plastic attached to the intake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back