outside tire wear in the last 5,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is one my wifes car. Both front tires are doing this. Wonder if the tire has a slipped belt or if something with the alignment is off. It drives pretty straight like always.

Springs are fine as far as i can tell. Woud toe really effect both tires the same though and all the sudden and the same time

Improper toe will affect both tires the same. Rather than rolling parallel and straight ahead, the tires are in a "wedge"-- the left tire points slightly to the right while the right tire points slightly to the left. The net effect is that the car still goes straight down the road, but in the process the tires must drag sideways over the pavement and they wear quickly.

This can be brought on suddenly by bending something through hitting a curb or a pothole with either side.

Last edited:
yes, it is hard to believe that this is anything other than: the car needs an alignment and/or some steering/suspension work.

Your wife found a twisty backroad.
grin.gif

Well i wanted to swap tires I just simply never got the time to do it.
I measured the toe with a tape at the rear and front of the tires and they are perfectly straight the back tire is actually starting to do this to. I am thinking its an issue with the tires.

Goodyear ls. They came on it when the bought it i believe they are almost 3 years old

The tires are straight according to my measurements and the car drives straight

How is the mileage on it? Prob hard to track since you're not the primary driver. I'm guessing not good.

The ONLY way to diagnose this is with an alignment machine. Measuring with a tape is just to get very roughly in line so the tires don't blow out on the way to the shop to have the car aligned properly.

I've got to ask...did OP check the INSIDE shoulder to make sure that there was no unusual wear there too....?
If so...then it's just a case of too low PSI, regardless of the door-jamb recommendation.

....and where is the MOD....? This is a topic for the tire forum.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back