What does this part do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rand
uh google is your friend the answer is right in your link??

All I saw were various vendors. Thanks car51 for answering, what would cause this part to go bad so early?

Basically it's a drive shaft on a front wheel drive car. You have two of them (for each front wheel coming out of the transmission). It probably was just a defective part. Lots of reasons why it could have gone bad. Fist and most important question is has this car been used as a rental by the previous owner? Could be an abuse issue but I doubt it. Probably had a defective CV boot..

Ideally, you want the left and right shaft be the same length "for handling reason", and this is the "intermediate" shaft that comes out of the differential / transmission output on one side (right on Honda if I remember correctly, I own an Integra) to the other, so you can use cv shafts of about the same length between left and right.

Some cars don't have them, and you end up with a longer shaft on one side and a shorter shaft on the other (i.e. Corolla).

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Basically it's a drive shaft on a front wheel drive car. You have two of them (for each front wheel coming out of the transmission). It probably was just a defective part. Lots of reasons why it could have gone bad. Fist and most important question is has this car been used as a rental by the previous owner? Could be an abuse issue but I doubt it. Probably had a defective CV boot..

Pretty sure it was owned by a little old lady who taught sunday school, who also let her small white short haired dog ride around with her
wink.gif
Honestly, I don't think it was abused.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

Thanks car51 for answering, what would cause this part to go bad so early?

Car was drag raced....

All I saw were various vendors. Thanks car51 for answering, what would cause this part to go bad so early?

The most common scenario is premature

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stevejones

Thanks car51 for answering, what would cause this part to go bad so early?

Car was drag raced....

Neutral drops no doubt.

Originally Posted By: stevejones
Car was drag raced....

Originally Posted By: bourne
pretty sure that old lady probably curbed the car a time or two.

Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan
Neutral drops no doubt.

Why is this place filled with Chicken Little types that always assume the worst possible situation?

As mentioned earlier, the most likely cause is a bad CV boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back