a topic I never read about

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading about automatic transmission filters on this forum and someone posted a Duralast (advance auto?) reply about how their products must meet OEM specs.
Wonder how they determine that?
Especially for Chinese made parts? I can see the American company's buyer of Chinese stuff, saying, "Well I don't have any complaint letters, or we only got 25 complains last year, or I don't know I only started here last month ..... or, they say they are 5% cheaper so lets give them a try and see how many complaints we get.
or I have a letter here from the Chinese manufacturer that says it meets oem..??!!
I have never read of any testing of Chinese made parts by an American company or posting on forums from people who actually do the testing and work in a testing company..
The Japanese (Makita for example ) seem to be able to get good stuff out of China, maybe they put reps in the plants to get direct info, rather than trusting the reports from the manufacturer. ? How do they do it? My guess an American CEO looks only at profits, if they make money , everything is fine.
Anyone know the answer?

Last edited:
"My guess an American CEO looks only at profits, if they make money , everything is fine." Most went to the same business school. Quick profit and a big bonus the idiot consumers will never know the difference. It is good though for a company to be profitable. It pays the bills and customer service.

Originally Posted By: CT8
"My guess an American CEO looks only at profits, if they make money , everything is fine." Most went to the same business school. Quick profit and a big bonus the idiot consumers will never know the difference. It is good though for a company to be profitable. It pays the bills and customer service.

Companies were profitable before free trade too. They're just making stuff in China and Mex because they can.

I wouldn't believe aftermarket manufacturers saying their components meet OE specs, especially those using the lowest bidder - no matter where the part comes from. Another challenge is that since they might buy parts from different companies in China but slap the same brand on them, some may be very good and some may be terrible.

As you observed, it is possible to make high quality parts in China, the same way it is possible to make high quality parts anywhere else. Proper engineering, monitoring of the manufacturing process, and quality control tests go a long way in ensuring a high quality product wherever it is made... even here in the USA.

I work in the IT industry, and almost all of the stuff we use is made in China, Taiwan, etc. I can take two power supplies from these countries and set them side by side. Power supply A will outlast the life of whatever it goes in and never be a problem, and Power Supply B will fail in a year or two, possibly with a loud pop, sparks, flame, and release of smoke plus damage to whatever it is connected to. Power supply A was engineered properly with high quality components and put through a proper quality control process - including a process to make sure the unit meets the specs printed on the label. Power supply B was made as cheaply as possible, with a label slapped on it saying it meets whatever specs the seller asks for (even if it doesn't come close).

The biggest issue with making things in China aside from killing our jobs and economy is that it shows someone is trying to be cheap. If they're willing to move production to a cheaper place, they very well may be making cuts in other areas.

Last edited:
Very interesting question.

In the case of Duralast vs Makita, I would assume Makita might own or run manufacturing plans in China, whereas Duralast just contracts it out. It could also be merely what standards do you hold your suppliers to, and how cheap or expensive you want the part to be. Duralast is just in the business of selling rebranded parts. They probably do no testing whatsoever and trust someone else to do it. That's just purely my speculation.

Some of the auto parts store parts scare me. It's a race to the bottom.

Last edited:
The other side is our own greed. I like modding my engine. Without pressure from the Chinese, a set of small block aluminum heads would cost 5 grand.

As far as tools go, I don't need stuff that lasts 100 years just something to get a single job done.

Does anyone want to pay $150 for a transmission filter?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back