2016 Automobiles Equiped With Alcohol Beathaylzers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
fine However, we are talking about prosecuting middle aged folks who go out to the "big city" and have a cocktail or two. Mandatory ignition locks is the real answer.

No, there is no reason that I or any other law abiding citizen should have to pay for an interlock device on my automobile because of people like yourself who have impulse control issues and refuse to accept personal responsibility for their actions.
According to you you are former law enforcement. Obviously, you have a few buddies on the CPD who look the other way. I'm sure that Joe Smith from the South side gets cuffed up, tossed in the back of a Donut Delivery Vehicle and gets a compulsory stay at the Graybar Hotel before being prosecuted.
I'm a middle aged guy and have been in Chicago and many other "big cities" plenty of times. If I'm driving a car, my "cocktail" is either Diet Coke or Iced Tea. I do that for the safety of myself, friends and family that may be with me, and others on the road. It simply is the proper and responsible thing to do.
I'm also a grouchy old middle aged guy and I am sick and tired of being punished for the actions of those who try to justify their behavior under the guise of a lack of self control and discipline. Go deal with your issues.

However, we are talking about prosecuting middle aged folks who go out to the "big city" and have a cocktail or two. Mandatory ignition locks is the real answer.

No.

We are talking about repeat offenders.

Drunks who have at least four or more...

Stop the equivocation and stop lying to yourself. We aren't talking about a cocktail or two, we're talking about tying one on...over and over...

Driving drunk is dangerous. Driving drunk is a crime. Driving drunk is the result of the drinker's inability to control himself.

Your fault. Accept your role: your inability to control yourself. Put the breathalyzer on your car because you don't have the self control to avoid stupid behavior. Your problem, so you get to pay for it.

Lord help you if you, or any other drunken idiot, injures or kills one of my family. You may rationalize your crime, but I would not. And would not forgive a choice to engage in that crime.

Last edited:
Jonny, My history in law enforcement is that I let "off the hook" many traffic issues. I had no choice. I dealt in real crime ranging from class 4 to X felony. Real crimes with real victims!! Sadly, even a 2nd DUI resulted in a job lose.

astro, I'm in "Virginia Beach". I'm an ex- law enforcement officer from the West Side of Chicago??? There are young "urban youth" kids getting shot daily. Father Plegar., has it right.

astro, I'm in "Virginia Beach". I'm an ex- law enforcement officer from the West Side of Chicago??? There are young "urban youth" kids getting shot daily. Father Plegar., has it right.

I have no idea what you're trying to say...

Qwerty-you have to understand where people are coming from here. It's not a joke-not even funny. People have lost friends and family here. So their views are going to be different than yours, and not so forgiving...

I have lost friends over the years to drunk drivers. Almost lost one a few years ago. Got run off the road by one. So you don't have to guess where I stand in this...it can be used as a weapon, even if that is not the way it was intended....

I felt bad that I got snippy in the last thread, because I am one who always takes the high road when I can. But doing anything to cars is not going to fix the problem. The people ARE the problem. One needs to have common sense, or someone there to make sure common sense happens. I have tossed keys of friends who where drunk and planned to drive. In one case, even had one of my buddy's wife come pick his car so he would not take it home.

It takes a mix of a person simply not being that dumb (realize) and others to step in when it is needed. I won't comment of punishments, except that they should be stronger.

I never got the whole point of getting messed up anyways...you feel horrible the next day! Didn't take me long to figure that one out! Then people keep doing it...

It starts with simple, common sense....

Last edited:
Daves, I spent close to 2 decades in a criminal courtroom. Where is the outcry for violent crime victims? I'm talking about violent domestic abuse, narcotics, organized crime, ect....... In 2012, they gave me a DUI. I'm an ex-officer of the court. I am amazed that they prosecute for this nonsense.

With mandatory breathalyzers in vehicles, I can see problems. Someone gets up late, rushes to get ready, even heads out the door with some alcohol based mouthwash still sloshing in their mouth. They spit, hop in their car, have to do the breathalyzer, and the car will not start because they tripped it. I have seen people fail breathalyzer testing for this very reason... that they recently rinsed with a alcohol based mouthwash.

Daves, I spent close to 2 decades in a criminal courtroom. Where is the outcry for violent crime victims? I'm talking about violent domestic abuse, narcotics, organized crime, ect....... In 2012, they gave me a DUI. I'm an ex-officer of the court. I am amazed that they prosecute for this nonsense.

There isn't a gang banger posting here, trying to justify his entitled, selfish, and criminal behavior.

There is a drunk, who habitually drives while intoxicated, putting other people at risk. So, we're addressing you. For the life of me I can't understand why someone would rather risk driving drunk than calling a cab. It's incredibly selfish and shows a real lack of character and personal responsibility.

Even now, I'm seeing you blame the bartender, police, or courts for your DWIs, instead of taking responsibility for your own actions. Pathetic.

I can't help but think this is some kind of a cry for help. OP posts nothing but threads about drinking, and I am sure he has figured out by now this is not a sympathetic audience.

OP in previous threads you have admitted you have a problem and need help, I hope you've seeked it out and are working on your drinking before it's too late.

Pretty much everyone who drinks has driven drunk at some point. I know I have in my younger days, but just never got caught. OP if you have a drinking problem, the best thing is to go to AA. As for smoking, drinking, etc. once you beat the addiction you don't even think about it anymore but while you're hooked that's all you can think about.

They say that most likely crime the average citizen will commit is a DUI. Domestic violence follows a close second. The insurance rates across the board would go down with a mandatory "blow and go" ignition lock. Heck, I had one for 9 months and realize that it is a safety device just like a seat belt.

a breathalyzer lock won't stop a drunk from driving if he so wishes. Insurance cost won't go down much, but vehicle cost will go up.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
This is an odd idea, I realize. The idea that you, as the person that commits the act, bears the cost alone...instead of the rest of the population bearing the cost...

Agreed. I don't touch a drop. Why should I pay? An uncle was an alcoholic for decades, but wouldn't touch his keys after the first drop passed his lips, ever. Why should he have paid?

Originally Posted By: 69GTX

A little extreme since DUI is determined by an exact # via a breathalyer or opinion of arresting officers. If you cause an accident at 0.07, you're home free, even though we all know you're partially impaired. At 0.08, you get the book thrown at you and 15 yrs in prison? Doesn't make sense to me.

It's not well known but a lot of places can get an OUI conviction with .04 or .05 and additional supporting info, like flunking the field sobriety test.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
These nonsense threads continue to pollute this site trying to justify alcoholism and drunk driving. Trolls need to be banned and threads deleted.

^^This.

The OP claims he's an older gentleman, yet he acts like a child. Be an adult, take responsibility for your actions, and get help. Clearly, you have a problem.

On a grander scale, I hear lots of people clamoring for cars to do this, that, and the other. People want their car to:

- disable cellphone use while driving
- find some way to sense kids locked in a hot car, and free them
- allow internet use
- sense rain to automatically turn wipers on
- tell them what their tire pressure is
- (I'm sure there's more)

And now someone is asking their car to tell them when they're drunk!

How about having a car that simply takes you from point A to point B?... without loading it with expensive sensors and electronics, which are destined to require repair sometime during the life of the car.

All prior discussions about nanny devices and personal responsibility apply here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back