aquarium test strips

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a box of Castrol strips in my toolbox, and Penrite make them too.

Easy to get...and they could well be aquarium stuff anyway.

I've got the JBL strips somewhere. leftover from before the leaking aquarium. hence the question.

The strips I got are the older 5-in-1, doesn't test for chlorine IIRC

I've tried them on tap water and demineralized before, and that works... the tap water hardness was off the scale (nothing new here) and nothing registered except a neutral ph for the demineralized.

My fish got a tap/demineralized mix, sometimes even some vinegar added.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic

When setting up our aquarium(s) that's the first thing I do, add vinegar and sodium bicarbonate to add some buffering capacity.

Isn't vinegar for the chips and the bicarb for afterwards?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow

When setting up our aquarium(s) that's the first thing I do, add vinegar and sodium bicarbonate to add some buffering capacity.

Ive been keeping fish all my life at a level beyond a lot of people and i have never heard of that. What exactly does it do?

The water in my location is so hard, it doesn't register on any scale anymore. Only suitable for cichlidae really. Vinegar added to the water removes some of the alkalinity.

Vinegar makes water acid, so yes, 'removes' alkalinity
grin.gif

I kept fish since I was in 2nd grade, so 40+ years, tried it once due to lack of better knowledge... I think I did it when attempted to get Neon Tetras to breed back in my teens.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
Originally Posted By: Shannow

Ive been keeping fish all my life at a level beyond a lot of people and i have never heard of that. What exactly does it do?

You and me both! I mean.. I understand what's trying to be achieved there, just never heard of it done like that with (non marine) fish keeping. I've had 4 tanks (~240g worth) going for years.

Test strips for coolant can be quite pricey. Aquarium strips should work.

I only monitor pH on my coolant. 100, pH 5.5-9 test strips can be purchased for around $5 with shipping. I keep a few vials of virgin coolant as a reference standard when testing my used coolant. It has worked well for me. I purchased some strips on the link below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262928113298?ul_noapp=true

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back