98 Camry - Am I being stupid repairing this car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a 1994 Camry it currently has 204,000 miles. Everything on your list I have done to my car also. I just did the filler neck. The part on Rockauto is under 60.00, mechanic charged me 50.00 to put it on. Ask around work or talk to friends for advice on a mechanic. I found mine this way and it has saved me thousands on repairs over the years. If the car does not have too much rust keep driving it. My car IMO is amazing for being 21 years old. Doesn't have any creaks or rattles, is really quiet, and averages about 26 mpg in mixed driving.

Spending over 50% in repairs over the original purchase price of a low mileage vehicle seems extreme to me. With your limited miles of 5K per year anything decent you buy is going to age out well before it wears out. I'm in the same boat with 8K miles per year. It could be time to go to buy lower mileage vehicles but swap them out long before the repairs start to show up. My car is a 2002 with 66K miles and I'm starting to think I might be best served getting out of it soon and going with a 2006-2009 vehicle. I paid $9K for this car with 22K miles and have about $2K in repairs/maintenance (new tires, brakes/2 rotors, radiator, front axle, battery). Exhaust and suspension would be coming next. Not sure I want to go there. The first 5 years on the car were 100% trouble free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back