Shopping two stroke oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used and loved the racing 2T for years. It's no longer in the US market so when I ran out I ordered some Amsoil.

I have to say I really like the Amsoil 2 stroke stuff. It has no solvents so I can see how they say you can run everything at 100:1. I can't bring myself to run that ratio so I run everything at 50:1 with no smoke.

I use amsoil at 100:1, have used 2 liters ie. ¨200 liters of gas in the chainsaw and brushcutter at the farm. No problems at all, think maybe it works great. Have not opened any of them so I can't say anything about the internals.
As a side note, all my Yamaha/Mariner outboards states 100:1 in bright white text and those are from the 80s. Run them on somewhere between 50 and 100:1 with various oils. No ill effects in many many hours.
And the mobil 1 2T Racing also seem great, will start on a batch of those when the amsoil is gone. It is still available in the old world although as expensive as amsoil

http://www.legendperformance.com/products-page-2/2stroke/zx-2sr/

I read their website, looks like good stuff. I just wish all the manufacturers' would quit treating us like idiots. Formulated with "CBT" Clean Burn Technology. Everything has to have an acronym. Can't they just say, formulated to burn clean? I mean they have to explain the acronym anyway, so why not just say it outright, and dispense with the [censored]?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Diesel_Dude
Mobil2T was indeed my favorite for years also, but as previously stated is no longer available here in the states. So after much research for a quality oil at a reasonable price I ended up with the Lucas semi-synthetic 2 cycle oil. I run at 40:1 in all my 2 cycle equipment. Thus far I have no complaints, Piston has a nice coat of oil when removing the muffler for inspection. It does not smoke other than at start up, the smell is not bad and there does not seem to be be any excessive carbon build up. A number of guys over on Arboristsite seem to be pretty happy with it also. Think I paid around $85 for 4 gallons shipped to my home about 2 years ago.

I tried Lucas as well, seemed ok, didn't do any extensive tests with it though. I still have a stash of M1 racing 2t (50+ quarts) but right now I am testing out Lubegard's product: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F2EPF4

I figure that since their Red transmission additive is so wildly successful and proven, and they're not even close to being able to be called a snake oil company, plus they say their 2T oil uses the same liquid wax ester (synthetic version of sperm whale oil). I figure that it was worth trying out. I'd like to see someone who is experienced with engine teardowns to report their findings on this to see how it compares to Lucas or Mobil 1 racing, Maxima K2. It seems to burn very clean, I use high oil ratios of 20:1, no smoke with this (same as Mobil 2t racing). It appears to have similar viscosity (7-7.5 cst @ 100) as Lucas semi synth, which is almost half the viscosity of M1R which is 13.8 cst @ 100.

Interesting post I found:

http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Race-Shop,42/More-expensive-premix-better,1282745

"More expensive premix, better?

A common question I see a whole lot is, "Just because a premix is more expensive, does it mean it's better?". It is easy to sit on the keyboard without actually doing any tests and making an answer up on the spot, but I decided to take it a step further.

The oils I decided to test were, Amsoil Dominator, Maxima K2, and a cheap oil known as Lucas Semi Synthetic.

Certain tests I did were, Run quality in the bike (Drained tank and ran the premix for a full tank, never opened top end up)
Hot pan test and a Flow test, and here were the results:

Cleanest burning (Least amount of smoke & Spooge at 32:1)
Lucas
Maxima
Amsoil

Hot pan test (Flow away from the hot spot or stay on it)
Maxima
Amsoil
Lucas

Flow test at -10C:
Lucas
Amsoil
Maxima

Flow test at 100C (What one was the thickest):
Maxima
Amsoil
Lucas

the stick test. Cold metal parts, could it stay stuck to the product or drip:
Maxima
Amsoil
Lucas

Hot metal parts:
Maxima
Lucas
Amsoil

How well they mix:
Maxima K2
Tie between Lucas and Amsoil

So there are just some experiments I did when I got bored, weather or not they help I just found it fun to do and definitely was surprised at how the Lucas Performed. Maxima K2 is what I will run!"

Resurrecting this thread !

I just heard that Walmart their house brand, SuperTech, 2 stroke oil in a full synthetic. I haven't seen it at my local store, but I will be looking for it !

Perhaps with the boating supplies and other TC-W3.

Originally Posted By: theoldwizard1
Resurrecting this thread !

I just heard that Walmart their house brand, SuperTech, 2 stroke oil in a full synthetic. I haven't seen it at my local store, but I will be looking for it !

Perhaps with the boating supplies and other TC-W3.

Yep, just saw the ST syn 2 stroke. 6.4oz. bottles only though at $1.64. I'll stick with the conventional ST at $12.xx gallon.

It took me 5 yrs to use up a qt of universal mix, used in everything, oily 32:1. The label peeled off so IDK the particulars. on the qt it was Valvoline, IIRC. Every thing gets a snort of MMO on top. Yes, it smokes, but clears up once warm. I love the wintergreen from the MMO. 2 strokes are light and powerful. Charlie used to knock over a 30 foot high swamp maple with his D4 and then buck it up with an aqua color Homelite with a bow blade. He used regular 30 oil mixed with leaded gas. This was about 1957. Charlie used to burn the seasoned maple chunks in a coal furnace. I learned to be a pile-it. Tree limbs have an arch to them that allows them to be stacked compactly into ricks for burning if you lay them all the same way. I think that would have run about 16:1 mix
smile.gif

This looks interesting: http://products.lelubricants.com/item/al...od&filter=0

Base Oil Physical Characteristics - Typical

Base Oil Viscosity 13.7 cSt at 100ºC
142.7 cSt at 40ºC
74.6 SUS at 210ºF
750 SUS at 100ºF

Base Oil Viscosity Index 90
Base Oil Flash Point 230 ºC
445 ºF
Base Oil SAE Grade1 40

Pre-Diluted Oil Physical Characteristics - Typical