What tire would be best

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wifes 2002 Chevy Venture mini van needs tires. The Hercules tires that were on it when we got it are out of round and wont balance.
Through work I can get a great deal on these tires.
215/70R15
Hankook H724
Hankook H727
Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring
Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP II
BFGoodrich Advantage TA

Any ideas on what would work best on our mini van.

Are you recommending the BFG because its the best tire for our van or just because its made in the usa.

Was leaning toward the BFG anyway.

Last edited:
First, what speed rating are you looking for?
Higher the speed rating, stiffer sidewall, harder ride...

Second, what treadwear rating? Under 500 for a beater that's only going to last a few years? Or a 700-800 for a daily driver?

Look for an "A" traction, "A" temperature...

Assuming an all season tire, I see a Cooper CS5...

What are your priorities? What is your idea of 'best'?

Grip, noise, life and ride comfort are the usual considerations, but focusing on one area will compromise the tyres ability to do well in the other areas

I just ordered 4 Michelin Crossclimate in 205/50WR17 for my car. I don't know if these are available in the US though. They're summer tyres with a winter rating (like multigrade oil) and 3PMSF marking (like a winter tyre).

I chose this size over the standard 225/45R17 for the 1dB lower sound production.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTdE6onkipA

Last edited:
I just bought a set of General Altimax RT43 tires for my wife's Dodge Caliber, and they are EXCELLENT! Smooth, quiet ride, great grip and handling, long expected tread life, and reasonable cost. They have excellent reviews, and many users report they handle exceptionally well in the snow (a big selling point for me). Honestly, if I had to do it again... I'd buy these tires again. I can't think of a better overall tire- expecially in this price range.

Tire Rack- General Altimax RT43 215/70R15

Originally Posted By: 250SD_54V8

Hankook H727
BFGoodrich Advantage TA

I've had good experiences with all three. And on GM products to boot. (The goodriches, 15 years back, were called "club ADV" from Sam's club, and may not be directly comparable.)

I had a 97 Olds Silhouette van, short wheelbase (rare), and it handled great on cheapo tires. As long as you get "not lumpy" I think you'll nail it.

Check the reviews online on each of them and get the ones with the best review. I dont know what kind of discount you get but it might be worth considering other tires.

Can't have a tire thread that Michelin is not mentioned.....even when it's not one of the OP's choices!

Geez.........

Definitely NOT Uniroyal!

Out of what you listed, either the H727 or the BFG's

Like others have said, the RT43 is a good choice and quite popular.

The Dunlop Signature II is also a good tire and a great value.

Thanks for the replys. I can get these tires through the tire shop at work for supplier cost.
The cheapest are the H724 @ under $50 each to the BFGs @ about $65 each. mounting and balance will be free.
Looking on line they all, including the Uniroyals have a lot of good reviews. Only negative I have seen is on the H727 getting noisy as they age.
The tire shop guys say the Uniroyals have been great and are recommending them.

Originally Posted By: 250SD_54V8
The wifes 2002 Chevy Venture mini van needs tires. The Hercules tires that were on it when we got it are out of round and wont balance.
Through work I can get a great deal on these tires.
215/70R15
Hankook H724
Hankook H727
Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP II
BFGoodrich Advantage TA

Any ideas on what would work best on our mini van.

None of these are real premium tires or standouts, they're mostly just OK. The Hankook H727 is a good tire, but it's getting outdated. It's still one of the best-performing all-season tires in the winter, but being where you are, I'm not sure winter performance is very important for you.

I just checked the CR scores on some of these. The Advantage and the Uniroyal TP Touring have similar scores, with both only rated "good" for handling and "fair" for wet braking. These are for the T-rated versions. The BFG is rated as "fair" on rolling resistance and TP Touring is rated "good."

I guess I personally would go with the H727 or the BFG. The Uniroyal Touring next.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
He asked the best of 5 choices. Not Cooper, Michie, General.

His first priority seems to be the price.

This is BITOG, and we give out own opinions!

The guys at the tire shop will recommended whatever they make the most money on.

Last edited:
These are what the tire guys at work said were available in my size.
I will check tomorrow with the supplier and see if anything else is available from them in my size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back