How to center arch punch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to punch holes into leather very precisely in the right location with a 1/4" arch punch. If I were using punch pliers, I could center the punch exactly above a mark, but how can I do that with an arch punch? I don't want to be off-center more than 1/64."

I forgot to mention, the only method I can think of is to draw a circle a hair bigger than 7 mm and visually line up the punch with the circle outline. Seems tedious.

Yes-those drafting templates work for that. I think you could either make one or find something that would work=like a common washer-good luck.

I could build a jig that lines up the leather and a template.

When I'm using an arch punch on material where the hole is marked, here's what I do: I place the arch punch on the material over the hole marking. Then I'll rock the punch while keeping it in contact with the material. While doing this I'll "walk" the punch by rotating it slightly. When I'm satisfied I have an even reveal of the marking on the material beneath the punch, whack the punch.

The other option would be punch pliers that let me easily center the punch above a pinpoint mark, but punch pliers are comparatively expensive.

I think it may be due to Latin convention. The Romans wrote the unit for measurement always before the figure, and the clergy, scientists/ alchemists and eductaed people wrote in Latin. Money has always been a big thing, so the tradition carried probably over. But then someone went ahead and didn't stick consistently with this system.

So I made a simple 1" wide template from 1 mm thin styrene. My circle cutter is not designed to cut holes smaller than 10 mm, so I put a shim behind the blade to cut a smaller hole. Now I simply line up my 1" wide leather strip (pouch) with the plastic template, draw the outlines of the holes with a soft pencil, line up the arch punch with the pencil outline and give it a good push. Violet, viola, veranda, walla , voilà, proper holes! My test strip of leather was too short, and you can tell when comparing with the template. All I need now is to use my press to create the cup for the ammo. There will be pitchers once the goat comes in.
grin2.gif

6zyfyq.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back