Personal Cloud Storage or Backups

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought i would ask the community here what you all use to back up personal picture, movies ect. It has gotten difficult for my wife and i to keep all our stuff backed up without redundancy so I was thinking about using a Synology box to keep all our stuff on and it automatically keeps things backed up.

Does anyone know of any software you can just load on the PC that will just let you choose folder to keep images or copies of. I have seen some free programs but they dont just keep a copy of the file. They have it in some form that only that program can read it back. I would like to just have a program that simply watches a folder to see when any changes are made and just make the same changes on disk 2.

Any ideas?

I'm using BackBlaze. The other computer(s) in the house backup to the one subscribed. It backs up to the cloud. I have some folders and files excluded such as .iso and virtualbox disk image files.

On the other Windows computers, I've used Microsoft's SyncToy and scheduled it to run periodically.

Synctoy.

It is one of microsofts powertoys and can be downloaded from them for free. It is dated but I have users using it today.

You can setup single or multiple folder pairs A-B ...source and target. Then you can setup a synching strategy 2 way, one way with deletes or one way with no deletes. The folders can be local file systems removable drives and network paths.

Once pairs are created you can launch the sync to run totally automated from a command line or an icon. I have mine setup to run every time I login to backup my desktop, favorites and documents folders to a network drive.

Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454
Synctoy.

It is one of microsofts powertoys and can be downloaded from them for free. It is dated but I have users using it today.

You can setup single or multiple folder pairs A-B ...source and target. Then you can setup a synching strategy 2 way, one way with deletes or one way with no deletes. The folders can be local file systems removable drives and network paths.

Once pairs are created you can launch the sync to run totally automated from a command line or an icon. I have mine setup to run every time I login to backup my desktop, favorites and documents folders to a network drive.

Does this run seamlessly in the background? I have used SyncToy years and years ago but seem to remember with large files that it would run for a long time and bog down the computer. Maybe with todays hardware it is not an issue.

I have multiple backups on hard drives and on archival grade DVDs, all kept in different locations. No cloud. I don't want my stuff "out there." I do use Dropbox for file sharing.

We have too much financial information-I'd never back up to the "cloud". Each of our computers has 2 portable hard drives-one is attached to the computer and one is in our safety deposit box at the bank. Once a week or so the drives are exchanged, so the oldest off-site backup we have is a week old (perfectly acceptable in our case). This gives us the security of an off-site backup without the potential security risk of cloud storage.

Originally Posted By: BRZED
No cloud. I don't want my stuff "out there."

All your stuff is already "out" there on multiple, multiple clouds. But I do understand. The main thing I use a cloud for is copies of photographs from the past that have been digitized and the originals pitched.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
We have too much financial information-I'd never back up to the "cloud". Each of our computers has 2 portable hard drives-one is attached to the computer and one is in our safety deposit box at the bank. Once a week or so the drives are exchanged, so the oldest off-site backup we have is a week old (perfectly acceptable in our case). This gives us the security of an off-site backup without the potential security risk of cloud storage.

Yikes, once a week? Doesnt that get old after a while swapping them out so often?

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: BRZED
No cloud. I don't want my stuff "out there."

All your stuff is already "out" there on multiple, multiple clouds. But I do understand. The main thing I use a cloud for is copies of photographs from the past that have been digitized and the originals pitched.

My script is out there?! How the...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back