Honda recalling 143K Civic, Fit models for CVT

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/10/02/honda-recall-143k-civic-fit-cvt/

Honda is recalling 143,676 examples of the 2014-2015 Civic and 2015 Fit for a problem with the way that its software controls the CVT. Currently, the system uses high hydraulic pressure in the transmission at times, which can put stress on the drive pulley shaft. Also, some of those parts "may have been produced at the low end of the hardness specification" during manufacturing, the automaker reports.

This is why I don't want to ever buy a CVT.

I will always buy manual trasmissions, as they are cheaper to buy when new, easier to maintain, and last longer and less prone to serious failure.

The notice mentions a problem with metallurgy as well but it doesn't address how they will remedy that ?

Buyers should be worried!!!!!!

Last edited:
And remember....Honda is the most trusted automaker on the planet......yea...

Honda always had problems with their transmissions and it seems the cvt's are problematic also. I will say years ago their engines were the best.

A lot of tranny issues are caused by drivers habits . As for CVT's you have to drive them with an awareness .

Metal hardness issue , that's a whole different problem by the auto maker QC .

Both the Civic and Fit obviously have quite a bit of cost-cutting in the cars. We have a 10 Civic and wish we got the Accord. Only a few more $K and better quality/equal fuel economy. That said, no problems with the Civic.

My Honda Ridgeline transmission has been 100% flawless. Actually, the entire vehicle has been fantastic.
My Fit will be getting the software recall fix. From what I've read it's not really about Honda using low quality parts in the CVT. The software just has a glitch that causes it to place too much stress on a particular part that was never intended to undergo those stresses.
We'll see. I've not had any problems with my CVT. Hopefully I never will. But the warranty (plus an extended one) should cover me for many years.

After spending a week with my father's CVT Subaru the CVT transmission is something I will avoid.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: andrewg
From what I've read it's not really about Honda using low quality parts in the CVT. The software just has a glitch that causes it to place too much stress on a particular part that was never intended to undergo those stresses.
We'll see. I've not had any problems with my CVT. Hopefully I never will. But the warranty (plus an extended one) should cover me for many years.

The reflash is to lessen the stresses on the pulley shaft which is explained to be of lower quality metals (lower end of the hardness specification) by Honda themselves. My question concerns wear rates now that lower hydraulic pressure will be employed.

From the article on AutoBlog:

"The fix will be an update to the CVT's software, and the recall will begin October 16, according to NHTSA. Honda is urging owners to get their vehicles repaired as soon as they receive the notification."

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
maybe people buying a cvt should rent one for 2 days

Took me longer than that to get used to mine . First thing a person should do is understand how the CVT operates . Knowing that helps when you drive one because it is really different from your standard auto type tranny . Not in a bad way , just different till you get used to it and adjust your driving habits to it .

+1 The week I spent with my dad's Subaru was enough for me. My complaints echoed my mother's complaints with the transmission. My father likes the car, drives it the most, so that's all that matters.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: andrewg
From what I've read it's not really about Honda using low quality parts in the CVT. The software just has a glitch that causes it to place too much stress on a particular part that was never intended to undergo those stresses.

The reflash is to lessen the stresses on the pulley shaft which is explained to be of lower quality metals (lower end of the hardness specification) by Honda themselves. My question concerns wear rates now that lower hydraulic pressure will be employed.

It said "lower quality metals"? I didn't read that into it.

While Honda may have intentionally been vague....or used the proper terminology saying "lower end of hardness specification", isn't clear.

I don't see from the Honda people or the NHTSA that this is a result of poor quality. I'm not saying that it isn't, but I don't believe that's 100% clear in this case. Plenty of mechanical parts are purposely manufactured at different levels of hardness...and has nothing to do with quality. If any issues of quality are evident from Honda's statement, it could be more to do with the software than the transmission part.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
This is why I don't want to ever buy a CVT.

I will always buy manual trasmissions, as they are cheaper to buy when new, easier to maintain, and last longer and less prone to serious failure.

The notice mentions a problem with metallurgy as well but it doesn't address how they will remedy that ?

Buyers should be worried!!!!!!

Are you implying manuals can't be recalled?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

+1 The week I spent with my dad's Subaru was enough for me. My complaints echoed my mother's complaints with the transmission. My father likes the car, drives it the most, so that's all that matters.

He has got used to it and adjusted how he drives .

At least Honda is recalling them instead of letting the owners pay the $7K bill like Nissan and their faulty CVTs.

While I have yet to drive one, I hear Subaru's CVTs are reliable. I have driven a Honda CVT and it was a much more pleasant drive. Can't put my fingers on it.

If a large scale (not Subaru) company can make the CVT work ... it will be Honda or Toyota. Nissan has already failed.

If I were to buy an Accord, Corolla or Fit, I would have a hard time not picking the CVT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back