Wait or do it now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello fellow bitog fans. The vehicle in my sig has about 4,800 miles on it's current OCI, and I am at 50%. Due to the cold weather, I am debating on unfortunately dumping this fill in late October, or waiting until January or so when it reaches 15%. Any suggestions to waiting or doing it soon? Just don't want to be stuck doing it in my garage when its freezing! Happy Saturday all

Save the oil an wait until Jan. It doesn't take long to do.

Last edited:
That's what I am leaning towards, just the cold at that time of the year is nagging me.

My vehicles get an oil change in the fall & again in the spring, regardless of miles. I don't do them in the winter - it's too cold & oil is too cheap...

I find time in february. There's a good weather day in there somewhere. And it feels good to do something in the garage-- winter is usually mostly emergency repairs. Try to get the elective surgeries done in spring & fall.

If you let your current fill ride into December, it'll get a taste of cold idling and other abuse just before you dump it. Then you can do it again in April and have a clean sheet.

I have changed my own oil since my first car. Up until last January when the service engine light lit on MDW's Camry. I found a coupon for a 24.99 special at Valvoline. MDW, had a good oil change, just like I do when I run the van in at work. I'm impressed by the routine that is practiced while doing the oc. The Camry has a 25 mile commute 1/2 HWY and 1/2 country roads. Its an I-4. Plenty for its usage. I'm pretty sure you can find a deal when need it.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: stevejones
My vehicles get an oil change in the fall & again in the spring, regardless of miles. I don't do them in the winter - it's too cold & oil is too cheap...

OVERKILL......if its syn...... a wasre of good oil, time, and $$$. How much mileage in the fall and the spring ......???

I like eljefino's plan, that would put you closer to 0%.

Of course if a 30-minute winter garage adventure to help your cabin fever is going to be too cold, then do it now.

Winter around here is usually 20 degrees but there are always 40 degree days in December and January to do things in the garage, or even in the driveway. Many times I've run the car 10 miles in winter to get it hot, drive it into the garage, turn it off and shut the door a couple minutes later once exhaust gases clear. Open the hood and that garage will be a very comfortable 40-50 degrees in no time. Change the oil then. Other times I've run a cheap 1500 watt space heater for 8-24 hours and heat the garage up to 45-60 degrees. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Depends on how cold it gets where you are, and the miles you put on it. If the winter stays el nino (warmer), then you could wait a while and change it. If it ends up like the last few, I would wait until around christmas...

I change it based on need, whether that means I can change it, or my local oil lube...

M1 EP is supposed to be good for 1 year or 15k.

I imagine that has to be somewhat conservative as well, because they have to account for all cars and driving conditions when they make that claim.

Use an oil extractor and change the oil. Your filter will last another 5 K Miles. No frozen fingers with the extractor.

I'd wait until winter. I've never really been in a cold environment before, but I imagine I'd rather change my oil in a garage where it's cold out than one that's 115 degrees out.

Do you have a space heater to put in the garage for a couple hours beforehand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back