Using fluids with stop leak if no leak is present?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In another recent thread, I posted about using P/S fluid with stop leak in it when there is no leak.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3873960/P/S_fluids_with_stop_leak_if_n

The consensus of the few posters was that there should be no issues.

Follow-up question though: As a general rule, what's the correct use of fluids (motor oil, transmission, p/s, etc.) with a stop leak (or high-mileage formulas designed for high-mileage vehicles) when there are no issues and no leaks?

All my vehicles are over 75,000 miles (one is over 100,000), and all have been well cared for. What if I started using high-mileage fluids or fluids with stop leaks? Will it swell the seals to the point that I would need to continue using it or risk leaks? Or is that not an issue and I can use them (or not) anytime I wish? Is there a benefit to starting to use them now while there are still no issues?

I'd like to keep these vehicles up and running as long as reasonably possible. I've thought about migrating to high-mileage fluids as I continue to maintain these cars, but I don't want to cause problems that aren't there, or lock myself into a product for the remainder of the vehicle's life. The small upgraded cost isn't a factor for me, so if there is a benefit to using them, I have no problem spending a few bucks more to prevent issues- sure beats a car payment! Thanks as always for your feedback!
smile.gif

If there are no issues, I would stay away from high mileage oils.

I got burned once doing it. Put in HMO and than switched back to regular. Motor started weeping oil in a couple places.

Apparently no one "gets the concept", the idea is to condition seals before they start leaking... That said 75K mi is probably a bit soon for most engines under seven or eight years, but by 125K mile most engines will probably benefit...

I started using high mileage oil in my '98 Grand Marquis short tripper at 65K mi(now almost 69K mi)... Since last change, oil consumption has improved from 2500mi qt to probably 5000mi... I'm yet to add at around 3700mi, down maybe 2/3 qt and probably a third or more of that was used in the first 1500 mi... Needless to say, it'll get HM the remainder of the time I own it...

Thanks for the feedback. I don't want to overthink this, but I don't want to make a mistake with a P/S system that is working well. If a high mileage power steering fluid can help prolong the useful life of the system with no ill effects, then I'm all for it.

I don't have much experience with high mileage fluids... so this is a pretty new concept for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back