Where to get best deals on New Tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
looking to buy some snow tires as the Cooper CS4's on my wife's versa are at 40k and needing to be replaced.

We have always had "all seasons" but I sold my jeep and picked up a Jetta so she can't take my jeep when it snows.

Local install of tires with her TPMS is anywhere from $20-$25 per tire.

We have some interest in the General Arctic max tires but would take suggestions on snow tire models too! My wife has a 45 mile round trip commute each day (Mon-Fri).

Where is the cheapest place you have purchased tires from?

Last edited:
We've found that Costco has offered the best out the door prices when everything is considered.

Discount Tire Direct has the best prices hands down when they have one of their holiday sales.
My second option is my Ford dealer. Got a deal on Pirelli's for my Accord that I couldn't beat anywhere. They will meet/beat any competitor price on any tire they sell.
I have come to this conclusion after buying 12 tires during the 2015 calendar year. Hope I'm good for a while.

I call the local tire shops to get the best price on the specific tire size. One of the shops usually tell me they can beat any local quote, and so I go there

Discount Tire. Hands down.

If price is your main consideration, Discount Tire will match or beat other's prices. But typically, you won't have to play that card. Their prices are competitive. One time I've used the meet or beat price, and it was so easy. I told the Discount tire associate that I could buy the TPMS sensors online for a given price, and he beat it by $2/sensor. No questions asked. No having to pull up a website to prove it to him. None of this "Well, that's an online price. We are a brick and mortar store" stuff.

Beyond price, Discount tire has the best service and customer support in the business. They will take care of you. I had a set of Pirelli tires that had worn out prematurely. I called Discount and told them that I was concerned that the warranty would only apply to a new set of Pirelli tires. They let me apply the warranty to anything I wanted, and helped me get into a new set of Michelin tires for a very good price. I could share two or three other personal accounts of great service from Discount Tire. OK. I'll share another.

I had a tire that was punctured in the sidewall, so it wasn't repairable. While I hadn't bought the extended warranty when I bought the tires, they let me buy it at that time, and apply it to a new tire. That store did not have the tire size I needed, so they called ahead to a store on the other side of town and made an appointment for me. I drove over to the other store, and as soon as I got out of my car, a Discount associate was walking towards me, called my by name, and told me they were expecting me, asked for my keys and went right to work on my car. Totally awesome! I've been driving for over 40 years and never have I got that kind of customer service anywhere else.

Costco would be my second choice. I am a huge Costco fan. My wife and I shop there regularly. But they would not be my first choice on tires. First, as good as Costco customer service is, when it comes to tires Discount Tire has them beat, hands down. Second, Costco has a very limited selection. They only carry Michelin, Bridgestone, and BF Goodrich. All good brands, and I'm a fan of Michelin tires. But that's not always the best options that you may want. What if you want a set of Yokohama Geolander or Goodyear Wranglers? Or the latest highly rated Nokian? Or Pirelli? Or Continental? Or an economy brand? You aren't going to get any of those at Costco. But you will at Discount. Third, Costco fills the tires they sell with nitrogen. Sure, they do it for free. But I guess it just bothers me that they foster the "nitrogen in tires is better" myth.

Last edited:
Seems I buy a set of tires every eighteen months for one of the four cars I maintain.
I go to Costco and have them put on while I shop for an hour.
For price, selection, warranty, and convenience, I haven't found a better place.

If you wait for one of their sales, Discount Tire seems to be just about unbeatable. Their normal prices are pretty competitive, too, and they're good about matching prices.

I used to order from DTD, but we just got DT retail stores in my area. They're now my go-to place.

I agree with going into a Discount Tire store if you have one nearby. I typically buy economy tires for my toyota's.

They do not stock junk tires. Their cheap tires are all quality and I have not had problems with any of them.

When I bought a set of Falkens for the Rav4, Pep Boys was running a buy 3 get one free sale.

Discount Tire calculated the total price from Pep Boys, and they lowered their price to match it no questions asked. It only came out to be about 28 dollars savings but it was worth asking.

My next set of all season tires will be Ohtsu's for my wife's Matrix. They are made by Falken, and they have been used by many semi truck drivers for a while now.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
We've found that Costco has offered the best out the door prices when everything is considered.

Always Costco! It is not only price, it is DOT! I bought in Costco probably 6 set of tires so far, always ordered online to be delivered in store (usually store does not have size) and all were less then 4 weeks old!!!

At least with DT and Costco there are no worries about the perpetual upselling of other services like you get with Firestone and many other tire shops.

Do you need to be a Costco member to buy tires from them? I am not a member and the membership would probably take away from the savings.

Originally Posted By: wn1998
Do you need to be a Costco member to buy tires from them? I am not a member and the membership would probably take away from the savings.

Yes you do. But, I think considering service etc, it is worth it.

fwiw i ran the general altimax artics last winter and they were absolutely fantastic. Drove to work at 5 am through unplowed streets multiple times with no issues

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I'm totally disagree with Costco tire purchase. There are many reasons to avoid buying tire from Costco:

1. You must be a Costco member to buy its tire. And you must be current up to date paying member for any tire service.

2. You must be present when your vehicle needs balance/rotation. You can't ask others to take your vehicle to any Costco for any service even with receipt in hand.

They also don't accept service appointment(at least at my local locations), so that you may wait few hours for a simple balance/rotation. Because they service the ones who buys new tire first and free balance/rotation will be service but it is the last ones.

You can make appointment with local DT/AT on same day and they would finish balance/rotation in less than 30-45 minutes if you arrived on time.

3. There are very limit choices, and they don't order any brand/model they don't have on hand or don't carry. Local DT/AT can order almost any brand/model you like, and you can have your tire at local store in few days for installation.

4. Costco's price on tire isn't as good as DTD/DT/AT at special rebate events such as Labor Day, Black Friday ... Costco also don't price match online price while local DT/AT do so the final price after price matching and rebate(s) at DT/AT is much less than Costco.

------------------------

I'm a Costco member for many years, but after several tire shopping comparison I avoid Costco like plaque.

Last edited:
I bought new tires for my truck in August.

I don't have a Costco membership but I was considering one for the deal on Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2 Costco had at the time. Instant $70 off a set of 4 at time of purchase - no rebate filing - on top of Costco pricing.

Both Costco and Firestone are about a 30 mile drive for me.

I called Firestone, asked about price matching, and Firestone agreed to match Costco including installation costs. I ensured this included road hazard at no additional cost when I arrived at Firestone.

Bottom line - I saved $223.96 vs. Firestone's initial quote, got road hazard included although Firestone initially wanted just under $140 more (bringing total savings to $360), I still don't have a Costco membership (another $55 for $415 total), and I or a designated driver can take my tires to any Firestone nationwide for service. The distribution of Costco stores is considerably more sparse than Firestone locations.

Don't be shy about asking about price matching.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tdbo
Discount Tire Direct has the best prices hands down when they have one of their holiday sales.
My second option is my Ford dealer. Got a deal on Pirelli's for my Accord that I couldn't beat anywhere. They will meet/beat any competitor price on any tire they sell.
I have come to this conclusion after buying 12 tires during the 2015 calendar year. Hope I'm good for a while.

Totally agree. And, I have a little local shop that mounts and balances for $10 a wheel.

By the way....Bridgestone Dueler in 285/70-17 for $185

Discount Tire Direct.... $186

Both have free shipping....but at Costco, I have to pay 8.25 sales tax...so I save nearly $60....as Discount Tire Direct doesn't collect sales tax.

Last edited:
Check out amazon and walmart. My last set of tires were purchased from amazon which had the best pricing at the time for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back