'14 Durango Pentastar, VWB 5w/20 5,763miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle info: '14 Dodge Durango 3.6 Pentastar
34,800 miles on vehicle at time of OCI.
43% left on OLM
Daily mileage on vehicle varies from 54 miles to 85 depending on the kids sports activities for the day. Mostly rural and interstate driving.

Oil: VWB 5w/20, previous OCI was VWB.

Note on silicon: stock air filter was changed at 30,000 miles. New AF is a K&N drop in filter.

Thanks.

128a86de358dfdd346525b5a2dab20b7_zpsdpwsglzo.jpg

Good 'ol Valvoline, looks fantastic. You are below universal averages and viscosity is great too. The 410 flash points suggests to me VWB is a syn blend, much as PYB and some others are suspected to be.

Looks like 7,500 mile oil under your usage to me.

Not a K&N hater but if your silicon is up after another OCI and especially if you drive on any rural dirt roads I'd lose the K&N.

Silicon is above average in spite of the shorter interval and 1000 miles on an old (and probably filtering quite well) filter.

Last edited:
Copper is high. And high in universal averages. Aside from an oil cooler, not many placed copper can come from other than bearings or bushings.

Regarding the K&N: I noticed the issue and plan to do another UOA. If it stays high during the next two OCIs, then I'll pull it and go back to the mopar AF. Also, all of my driving is on pavement, no dusty dirt or gravel roads.

Regarding copper: it's my understanding the pentastars have intergraded oil coolers on them ( not sure if this is the case for all of them or just SUVs and P/Us.) I'll look at some other pentastar UOAs and compare.

I have a 2012 JGC with Pentastar.

For comparison, I had:
-Pennzoil 5w30
-Vehicle had 28,825 miles
-Oil had 5,687 miles
-Copper 17
-Silcon 9
-Iron 12

When I posted mine, consensus was that the Pentastar has high(er) copper levels than other engines. I will keep an eye on mine with additional samples over time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Curtis Newton
I have a 2012 JGC with Pentastar.

For comparison, I had:
-Pennzoil 5w30
-Vehicle had 28,825 miles
-Oil had 5,687 miles
-Copper 17
-Silcon 9
-Iron 12

When I posted mine, consensus was that the Pentastar has high(er) copper levels than other engines. I will keep an eye on mine with additional samples over time.

Good info. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Good 'ol Valvoline, looks fantastic. You are below universal averages and viscosity is great too. The 410 flash points suggests to me VWB is a syn blend, much as PYB and some others are suspected to be.

Looks like 7,500 mile oil under your usage to me.

This^^^

...and i wouldn't worry much over 15ppm Si.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back