2016 Automobiles Equiped With Alcohol Beathaylzers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figure since I accepted that DUI is a serious issue in the U.S., why they don't install mandatory .BAC devices in all new vehicles? I assume the new car owners would get a nice car insurance break. If someone argues they don't drink, I would argue that I don't get into accidents yet I'm required to wear a seat belt.

Since 99.999% of the population doesn't need it?

Seriously, drunk driving kills, it's a serious problem...but only a tiny percentage of the population is likely to commit that crime, so why require everyone else to pay for the equipment as standard?

You can get it fitted at your own expense if you're the one committing the crime.

This is an odd idea, I realize. The idea that you, as the person that commits the act, bears the cost alone...instead of the rest of the population bearing the cost...

You're responsible. You pay.

Makes perfect sense to me.

If I gotta blow before I can drive my car, you need to retake Spelling 101 before posting....

Last edited:
I will never drive drunk, because it's a case of personal responsibility.

I can't keep myself from getting into an accident. That's why it's called an accident.

They say that most likely crime the average citizen will commit is a DUI. Domestic violence follows a close second. The insurance rates across the board would go down with a mandatory "blow and go" ignition lock. Heck, I had one for 9 months and realize that it is a safety device just like a seat belt.

bandit, what its "personal responsiblity"? I assume you mean the bartenders at the local watering hole or the servers at the local Applebee's???

Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
bandit, what its "personal responsiblity"? I assume you mean the bartenders at the local watering hole or the servers at the local Applebee's???

He means the consumer of alcohol is responsible for consuming or not consuming and responsible for not operating a vehicle if he does consume, and not blaming anything/anyone else for his actions.

Last edited:
A first DUI conviction should carry mandatory jail time and loss of driver's license. A second one should get the person some serious time in jail. Drunk drivers are treated like special people but in reality are dangerous criminals that need to be put behind bars.

When I was 12, a long time ago, I was a passenger in a drunk driving accident that killed everyone else in my family and put me in the foster care system. I was treated like the criminal and punished within the system.

The drunk driver had 6 DUI convictions with no jail time beyond the time it took to sober up after each arrest. He spent 6 years in an honor farm for non violent offenders. After this crash was only an "accident". Finally he was released on a Friday and was arrested that weekend for a DUI accident that injured the other driver. He was arrested again, released after drying up, skipped bail and was never seen again.

I was told that a DUI was a serial violation. Once the process has been started it goes on and on and on...... It's true that drunks are special people and need special care. You must be nice to them. For me I hope they all rot in h e l l.

I think on the second offense, the car is taken and sold. Monies should go to victims of these crimes. The one thing about out justice system i don't like is no restitution to the victim by the perp. Unless they get a lawyer.

Oh please..

You, the drinker, have to take responsibility for your problem. Had too many? Call Uber. Hand over the keys. Don't drive.

In your case, institute the "second drink rule". That's the rule in my household. If I order a second drink while at dinner, or a party, I hand over the keys.

Period.

That's it.

Act like a grown up.

You're acting like a child, twisting the facts and trying to blame the bartender and then you've got the gall to try and make me pay for your irresponsibility.

Frankly, I would just make the limit 0.0 and take away your license forever.

Then, no one need pay for someone else's breathalyzer. And you don't ever drive "toasty" and put other people at risk.

Insurance costs go down. More people live.

Sound good?

Last edited:
OneEyedJack, did you really look into the criminal justice system?? They simply don't have time for the local drunk on the road. My close relative is a public defender in one of the biggest court rooms in the country (Courtroom 302, Cook County). I'm amazed at what is let off on probation. Of course, this is Chicago where a lot of victims don't matter. I'd rather have the armed robber or rapist locked up than the drug addict.

I have absolutely 0 respect for anyone who drunk drives. A drunk driver killed a close friend of mine a few years ago. The worst part of the whole thing was the paramedics responding and the tow truck drivers knew him as well. They all asked why there was another yellow blanket 100+ feet down the road, the police officer said "that was where the helmet landed." All of my friends will publicly ridicule anyone who gets a DUI because it is their own fault. No-one held a gun to their head, forced them to drink, and then drive.

A DUI should come with mandatory prison time, revocation of a driver's license for a minimum of 10 years, and have their picture in the paper along with public shaming. A second offense should result in longer prison time and permanent revocation of driving privileges. There is nothing funny about it and the people who think it is no big deal or is it another person's fault they drove drunk are absolute scum of the Earth. I have a higher opinion of what I flush down the toilet than anyone who sees nothing wrong with drunk driving.

bd,I'm an older gentleman. Thank God the Chicago Police use common sense and gave me courtesy. The police are too busy dealing with real crime here. Of course, what do you know about urban crime?? My topic is Breathaylzers in every new vehicle. They no longer issue ash trays and must issue seat belts.

OneEyedJack, did you really look into the criminal justice system?? They simply don't have time for the local drunk on the road. My close relative is a public defender in one of the biggest court rooms in the country (Courtroom 302, Cook County). I'm amazed at what is let off on probation. Of course, this is Chicago where a lot of victims don't matter. I'd rather have the armed robber or rapist locked up than the drug addict.

Drunks are special people. They are treated with kid gloves. If you're not nice to them then you might be the criminal.

I'm the one that got transferred from place to place, monitored and forced into system where foster families made a financial profit on me. I was hospitalized a dozen or more times because of the treatment I received. With bandages and stitches I was judged the offender even though counselors judged me to be very quiet and well behaved and an excellent student that stayed to himself and never bothered anyone. It started at 12. I broke out at 14 and never looked back. At 16 the court finally allowed me to become a person.

The drunk was sentenced to 6 years, served 18 months on an honor farm that had better accommodations then I ever experienced in 2 years before I escaped. His first weekend out he was arrested for a DUI accident that injured the other driver.

If you want to murder someone never ever consider a gun, a knife, a baseball bat or poison. Get drunk and run them over with a car. You'll get a couple of years and that's it. Why risk serious prison time. Get drunk, instead.

bd,I'm an older gentleman. Thank God the Chicago Police use common sense and gave me courtesy. The police are too busy dealing with real crime here. Of course, what do you know about urban crime?? My topic is Breathaylzers in every new vehicle. They no longer issue ash trays and must issue seat belts.

No, why should I have to use a blow and go because people like you choose to make an absolutely idiotic decision to drink and drive? I don't care what generation you are from, it is still a stupid decision. Drunk driving is real crime deserving of having your picture in the paper shaming you for your poor decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back