Which Oil Extractor are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up a jetta with a very nice top mounted oil filter. With an extractor, I can change the oil in minutes with no mess and no need to get under the car.

1. Is draining the oil from the plug better then extracting?

2. What extractor do you recommend?

Thanks for your help!

I bought an Air Power America 2000 Liquivac from Amazon Prime for $45. It's the large model with an 8 quart capacity. I would call it recreational quality, not professional quality. But it works on my Alfa Romeo in Florida where I keep minimal tools. Just make sure the oil is warm (not hot), and it works fine. Bear in mind that with this and most extractors, depending on the design of your dipstick tube and oil pan, you may leave as much as 10% of your old oil in the sump.

I bought a Pella when I bought a Jetta TDI back in 2006. It works great, I think mine is a 5 liter model. As long as the oil is warm and everything is mixed up nicely I think there's no need to drain using the pan.

Last edited:
1) Depends on your car, check your specific car forum to ensure that an extractor will work for you and it won't mess things up.

There is always old oil in the system. If your old oil is so bad that the remainder is a dealbreaker for you, then your oil was already way past due.
Engineers don't need all the oil being exchanged, some cars actually get more out via an extractor then the drain plug so vice versa is true too.

2) mityvac 7201, just because it has a dispense feature so you can dispense the oil back to a transport container for recycling. Be sure to check operation with water before you go at it with oil.

Like any tool you need to learn how to use it. If you just threw an idiot a torque wrench and say use this to do a traditional oil change, they could mess up the oil change; just the same way some folks can mess up using an extractor.

Last edited:
I have the Hydro-Turf Oil Extractor 6-Liter. Used it twice to remove a couple quarts of ATF. You over-estimate extractors if you think it will take mere minutes to suck the oil out. I can get under my cars without ramps or jacks and it's much faster to just pull the plug than try to suck fluids out. The extractor is less messy but slower. I'm too scared to pull the plug on my trannies to I just suck out a couple quarts but for oil and an easily accessible plug, I'd just get under with a wrench.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
Gravity.

28.gif
LOL

Me too actually.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: wn1998
Just picked up a jetta with a very nice top mounted oil filter. With an extractor, I can change the oil in minutes with no mess and no need to get under the car.

1. Is draining the oil from the plug better then extracting?

2. What extractor do you recommend?

Thanks for your help!

Congrats on that Jetta. I'm thinking of getting a Pella Oil Extractor (from Amazon) too after my free oil changes expire at the dealer. I think that the VW EA888 engine can have oil extracted this way as most European cars are adapted for this.

On my car, I'd change oil via the extractor every 6k miles (or 6 months) then do a traditional oil change with oil filter change every 12k miles or (or 1 year). There are still some residue that an extractor cannot fully flush out, that gravity through the drain hole could better handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back