I went and did it....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I really thought I could stay away from another new car purchase. I've failed.

But...it's a happy fail!

I went down to the local Mazda dealership and placed an order for my new 2016 Mazda MX5!!!! I am so excited to get this car!

The back ordering can take up to THREE MONTHS! It's being built in Japan and shipped to the Port of Tacoma. I could not locate the model and color combo I'd wanted, so I just ordered it. The dealer said they only get about three per month from Mazda and they are basically sold as soon as they hit the lot. I ordered a 2016 Mazda MX5 in Meteor Gray with Tan leather interior. 6 Speed manual....of course.

Thanks guys! Yep....I had a 2006 for a short time. Loved that car. The new one is even better.
Can't wait...but I have to!!!!

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Which car are you getting rid of? Congrats, btw!

Thanks....right now I am not planning on getting rid of any of my cars. The Honda Fit is used mostly for commuting and is very good on gas. The Ridgeline is paid off...but I really need to have a vehicle around for getting to work in the snow and to haul items occasionally. It's also very useful for seating out of town family when they visit.

The MX5 is just for PURE FUN and will not even see rain. I intend on keeping it for as long as I can.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Congrats! Give us a more detailed review soon and some PICS!
We are realy happy with our 2014 SkyActiv Mazda6

It will be at least 2 to 3 months, but I will take pics and give my impressions of it (if I can get away from driving it when it arrives).

Last edited:
Well, you'll have a great subject for your photography.
smile.gif

Good memory Quattro Pete...wow. I've even took a sabbatical for a couple of months from Bitog.
I was becoming a rude and argumentative wretch! I needed to get away from it to get my bearings back.

Last edited:
Love our Mazda3 and most importantly the Skyactiv technology. Running M1 0w20 changing every 5K oem filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Cool. Do you know your VIN yet?

No...not yet. They entered my order into the system just a few hours ago. They said they would let me know when they get the VIN so the progress can be tracked.

I sure wish Mazda would speed up production. Such a highly desired vehicle right now yet they still don't seemed to be entirely ramped up. From what I've seen, the MX5 actually shares a production line with at least one other vehicle.

Last edited:
Very cool. The only cars I really "LOVE" driving are MX5's and S2000's. I absolutely can't get enough of the light, responsive nature of such cars.

I do like the new 'vette, but it feels like a tank by comparison. And, it's just not as much fun. Faster, yes. More fun? For me, I don't think so.

Plus, the MX5 is a better convertible, any day. Unless it's a level 5 thunderstorm outside, my top is down.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet
Very cool. The only cars I really "LOVE" driving are MX5's and S2000's. I absolutely can't get enough of the light, responsive nature of such cars.

I do like the new 'vette, but it feels like a tank by comparison. And, it's just not as much fun. Faster, yes. More fun? For me, I don't think so.

Plus, the MX5 is a better convertible, any day. Unless it's a level 5 thunderstorm outside, my top is down.

I'm probably not as much into cars as many folks here are...but I would agree with you.
I've driven fast muscle cars....powerful beasts. I enjoy them. I've not driven a new 'vette yet though. But in all honesty, the most fun car I've ever driven was an MX5. Hands down, no contest.
I look like an idiot in them...I have a goofy smile on my face the whole time.

I am very interested to see how the OP rates the power on thhis MX5 - I have seen a lot of people whining about how little HP the engine has, etc., but I think Mazda, with their experience behind the MX5 all these years, should know what they're doing...

The MX5 is very light, so the little HP it has should go a long way. Curious what the torque curve looks like, but I'm guessing it'll need to be kept pretty high in the RPM range to make it peppy, alas, if it sounds good at higher RPM, then it just adds to the fun of driving it. I think C/D clocked it at 5.9 seconds 0-60, which should be plenty quick to have some fun.

When my mid-life crisis intensifies some more, I'll be test driving one. Although my heart tells me to go for a Mustang GT.
smile.gif

If I were to go for a BMW, it would probably be Z4, but I think I'm done with BMW. They've lost a lot of their fun-to-drive factor in recent years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back