Quiz: Which of these samples is the better oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Below are 2 samples of virgin 10W60. I have the E90 M3 and am looking to use the best oil for protecting my engine. I change the oil at about 6k or 7k miles so TBN might not be too important for me. Which one is best?

Originally Posted By: M3m3x5
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Can't tell from a VOA alone.

Please explain

There is just no way to tell from a VOA. You see the list of individual additive ingredients, but that is mostly irrelevant. What's relevant is how these ingredients function together as a complete formulation along with the base oils. And a VOA just can't tell you that.

The only thing you could potentially infer from this is that the second oil might possibly handle longer intervals better due to higher starting TBN, but you already said that is not something you care about.

Personally, I'd look at the mfg specs that each of these oils meets. This should tell you more about their performance capabilities than a $20 VOA.

#1 has a wee bit more moly, boron and zinc, so my answer to the trick question is contestant number one.

ok, I thought the additive package could give a better estimate as to which oil will better protect, clean, etc than the other.

I guess the ultimate answer is a used sample with about 6k miles on the oil. Its just that I put about 8k miles per year and I didn't feel like waiting close to two years to find out. These are both oils I haven't previously used although sample 2 is in my car now with a few hundred miles on it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: M3m3x5
I guess the ultimate answer is a used sample with about 6k miles on the oil.

The ultimate answer is systematic testing with tear-downs and careful measurements.

UOAs are mainly for assessing oil change intervals. They can give an indication of a change in wear patterns IF there's a long-established baseline (i.e. several consecutive UOAs with the same oil in the same application). They aren't good for picking oils based on wear control without a LOT of supporting data.

VOAs are for tracking formulation changes, finding contamination, and knowing what the baseline readings for a lubricant so you can read a UOA better.

Originally Posted By: CT8
The base oil blend along with the add package makes the oil.

Indeed. And a VOA shows you nothing more than a piece of the additive package.

If all you have in hand is the VOA, then go by that until you have more information to go on. I'd pick the 2nd one which looks like a Pennzoil Ultra type high Calcium oil. The low calcium, TBN and overall detergents in #1 seems somewhat under-powered, probably not as good for longer OCI's. I look at the combined total of Ca, Mg, and Na and normally that runs in the 1,900-2,800 range. This one isn't even at 1800....and the TBN is low for a VOA. Looks like a racing oil while #2 is more for a driver and similar to PUP except for a little less Boron. I prefer the slightly lower 210 deg F viscosity of #2 for a passenger car. If you track the car a lot then maybe #1. Either way I like the #2 package. 60 grade is thick enough....not sure I would need thicker 60 grade as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back