Kubota G5200 wont start under own power

Status
Not open for further replies.
We bought this girl back in August with 1500 hrs on it. The PO said the battery needed replaced... no big deal. It has to be a Kubota battery since it has to fit in such a tight spot so we went to the dealer. They saw that it was only a few years old and tested it. Apparently it is good?

I jumped the tractor off a truck this morning and ran it today for about 2 hrs at WOT. Even after that, it refused to start.

Any suggestions guys?

Originally Posted By: Quest
did you or dealer load-test the battery?

Q

No they didnt. We just brought it in and they used a portable tester.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
it refused to start.

No crank?
Cranking, but not firing?

Crank yes, but didnt start.

Lights, glow plugs etc. did work though.

Originally Posted By: andyd
what is the alternator output?
See if there is a bad dioede

I have a 1782 Cub -- very similar to your G5200. Fortunately in my case, the battery is out in front instead of being mounted behind the radiator...

Have you done basic troubleshooting (check cables/grounds, start off a different battery)?

it refused to start.

No crank?

Cranks but no start - so why are we blaming the battery?

Dealer sold you a "few years old" battery? Or what do you mean?

Last edited:
I once fought a similar problem for hours, and come to find out the portable battery tester was not loading the battery enough. While holding the key in the starting position, check the battery voltage with a volt meter. 10.5 volts or less is a dead battery,

Originally Posted By: mech_tech
I once fought a similar problem for hours, and come to find out the portable battery tester was not loading the battery enough. While holding the key in the starting position, check the battery voltage with a volt meter. 10.5 volts or less is a dead battery,

It is important to do this test with the meter probes on top of the lead posts that are part of the battery, not on the terminals that are part of the machine. I have heard 9.0 V as the standard, machines should be designed to start with 9.0 volts from the battery under load.

If test fails, charge the battery fully with a battery charger and try again.

Once started by whatever means, run for a few minutes with lights, etc. turned off voltage at battery should be more than 13.5 V.

Get a working battery, like a car battery and connect it using jumper cables taking the dead battery out of the equation, run it using the K own good battery for awhile then turn off and try to restart?

Originally Posted By: user52165
it refused to start.

No crank?

Cranks but no start - so why are we blaming the battery?

Dealer sold you a "few years old" battery? Or what do you mean?

We bought a used garden tractor that came with a battery made in 2011.

As far as the cranks, it cranks about 3 times then does nothing. Waaaaah wah wah.

I hope you didn't jump start that battery with the truck running? I would only jump start a battery in emergency situations. You need to charge the battery with a charger because the tractor wont do it.

A diesel engine has to crank above a certain speed or it can't start because there won't be enough heat of compression in the cylinders to ignite the fuel.

You need to do some tests to be sure but it is looking likely the battery needs replacing.

Do you have a voltmeter or a battery charger to do what others have suggested?

I'm not sure I fully understand what you're trying to say here...

Does the engine crank at normal speed but not start? Does it crank slower than normal and fail to start, or does it turn over slower than normal a few times then the starter simply wont turn any longer?

The way you made it sound is that it cranks over a few times unassisted, then the starter simply wont turn anymore. If that's the case- verify cable quality (especially at termination points) and have the starter checked out. From what you're describing, it sounds like the starter is bad.

I apologize. I am terrible at describing things.

Yes it cranks a few times unassisted, but as soon as its jumped, it starts just find. This does indeed sound like a starter issue?

It is a bummer with the battery because of its size. We have a slightly newer diesel kubota with roughly the same engine, but the battery wont fit into the 5200.

Ill start by following the advice others have given.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
I hope you didn't jump start that battery with the truck running?

I did. Ive always done it this way.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back