2014 VW 1.8 Turbo (10K OCI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know all of the issues Volkswagen is going through but have a question.

The 2014 VW Jetta SE has the 1.8L Turbo and VW calls for 10k OCI (0w-40 synthetic). I have not done an oil change yet but it looks like my sump holds 6.5 quarts and when changed you will replaced 5.75 quarts.

Question 1.
How do I prove that my oil changes are current if I do at home and have warranty issues? For this reason, should I just pay the crazy $75 dealer prices for 2-3 changes just incase I have any warranty issues as my car is certified and I have 30K more miles of warranty left.

Question 2.
Can the oil handle a 10K oci in a turbo charged engine? I am no stranger to extended drains but I typically go 6 months or 7500 miles. The sump does seem pretty big for the displacement of the engine but I thought I would still ask.

Thank you for your help!

You are right, that sump is twice the size as the Nissan Sentra 1.8L 3-quarts from 2004 !!! (Although your Versa uses 4 quarts.)
Save the receipts, tape them to a comment sheet with your signature, sign and date the paper and file it away.
M1 0w-40 or Castrol Edge 0w-40, walmart jugs.
10k very doable with a good syn like that and >50% trips over 7 miles each.
I'd say if your driving 50% short cold trips, then change at 5,000 miles instead.

Keep in mind that the 10k interval is for the VW specified oils. Saw a post on here somewhere a couple weeks ago of damaged internals from not using the correct oil in a VW.

Do you drive mostly highway trips? If you do then 10k would likely be fine. If you do a mix of driving if err on the safe side and do 7500 OCI. The older 1.8T had history of sludge.

Most of those instances were caused by improper oil, However the engine does boost at very low RPM. The 1.8 basically lives in boost, personally I'd probably go 7500, but that may be a waste. M1 0w40 would be my first choice. After warranty maybe try Amsoils new 0w40 Euro oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Keep in mind that the 10k interval is for the VW specified oils. Saw a post on here somewhere a couple weeks ago of damaged internals from not using the correct oil in a VW.

Interesting. The local VW dealer uses Castrol. Wither 5w40 or 0w40 I assume.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Kuato

Of course I would only use an approved VW 502 oil. That would be Castrol 5w40 or Mobil 1 0w-40.

I assume that car has an OLM? I'd use M1 0W40 go the full 10k or full OLM.

If you are using approved oil I don't think you can go wrong, and don't need to worry about short trip this or cold that.

My 2 cents.

I'm doing 12,000 mile oil change intervals in my Audi A6 with 3.0T engine. My sump is 7.5 quarts and so far nothing has blown up. I use Royal Purple 5w40 or 5w30 HPS.

Use the recommended oil and filter and keep the receipts and document the servicing.

Thnaks guys, I found a dealership in the next town over that is offering a $55 oil change and will take them up on that at the end of this month. I should be close to 7500 miles and that should atleast get the through the winter here in Chicago.

I am hoping in spring to buy a oil extractor and do my changes Top side as the filter is up top too.

I will be using either Mobil 1 or Castrol European formula (0w40) that is available at Walmart and will be buying my filters from the dealership.

Yes, all the new(2014+) VW TSI 4 cylinder engines--1.4, 1.8, and 2.0-- have a dipstick tube. The EA288 diesel has a dipstick as well!

The drain plug has a crush washer that absolutely needs to be replaced BTW. VW service recommends changing the drain plug too--something to do with the angle of the one-time-use threads....

Originally Posted By: jeff8407
Yes, all the new(2014+) VW TSI 4 cylinder engines--1.4, 1.8, and 2.0-- have a dipstick tube. The EA288 diesel has a dipstick as well!

The drain plug has a crush washer that absolutely needs to be replaced BTW. VW service recommends changing the drain plug too--something to do with the angle of the one-time-use threads....

Wow, never heard of that! Seriously, if you put a light coating of silicon rubber RTV-type sealant on those washers and also very little carefully on only the first thread or two closest to the bolt head, its sealed very well.

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
Originally Posted By: jeff8407

Wow, never heard of that! Seriously, if you put a light coating of silicon rubber RTV-type sealant on those washers and also very little carefully on only the first thread or two closest to the bolt head, its sealed very well.

If true, this is just another instance of over engineering.

Originally Posted By: wemay
If true, this is just another instance of over engineering.

If true, this would be a good use for a Fumoto Oil Drain Valve.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
deven, how many miles on your A6 right now?

Nearly 37,000 miles. Nearly time for another oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back