Grease sunroof

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

My sunroof is making a weird noise when I open and close it. The dealership has greased up the rails using a white spray but that didn't solve the matter so i'm taking matters into my own hands. I've been told to avoid anything from a can and use a Silicone style grease, but since I live in Australia I can't find any affordable local places.

What would be a good grease to use on the rails and rubber bits of the sunroof ? Would white lithium grease be better than silicone ?

Thank you

Use Wurth Silicone Lubricant in a tube, Shin Etsu Silicone Grease from Honda/Acura.

Also, quality silicone personal lubricants work very well on door and sunroof seals applied with a lint free cloth.

Originally Posted By: Falken

Also, quality silicone personal lubricants work very well on door and sunroof seals applied with a lint free cloth.

Well that's good to know! what flavour is best?
crazy.gif

I use white lithium grease on the tracks of my Jag's sliding roof. I use that product because I read somewhere it was recommended for that application. I use it about once a year and it quiets the creaks. Perhaps it will work for your sunroof.

Did you find out by accident?
grin.gif

I would only use Mercedes-Benz sunroof grease on any vehicle, it has proven to work for my >30 year old MBs, and all our newer cars that have sunroofs.

An idea of what you're going to want to do is here:

http://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w124/160569-cleaned-greased-my-sunroof-today.html

The stuff never dries out, never changes consistency, etc.

Two OTC options Ive heard of but never tried are Vacuum grease and trombone slide lubricant. You want some viscosity, which is why something like DOT 5 silicone oil is out, but not too thick to tax the motors or shafts/cabling.

Use Wurth Silicone Lubricant in a tube, Shin Etsu Silicone Grease from Honda/Acura.

I can't seem to find any of those lubricants here in Australia.

Originally Posted By: GatorJoe
I use white lithium grease on the tracks of my Jag's sliding roof. I use that product because I read somewhere it was recommended for that application. I use it about once a year and it quiets the creaks. Perhaps it will work for your sunroof.

Have you found any down sides to using that product ?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I would only use Mercedes-Benz sunroof grease on any vehicle, it has proven to work for my >30 year old MBs, and all our newer cars that have sunroofs.

An idea of what you're going to want to do is here:

http://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w124/160569-cleaned-greased-my-sunroof-today.html

The stuff never dries out, never changes consistency, etc.

Two OTC options Ive heard of but never tried are Vacuum grease and trombone slide lubricant. You want some viscosity, which is why something like DOT 5 silicone oil is out, but not too thick to tax the motors or shafts/cabling.

I've heard good things about the MB stuff apparently its more a wax than a grease so stop dirt.
I have had a look though and I can't buy it in Australia and I have a Kia Optima so don't know if that will make a difference to the grease I use.

I figured I'd get teased about the recommendation for the personal lube but it is great and cheap and easy to apply so I figured I'd throw it out there.

Amazon has it dirt cheap.

Also, it is great for multiple uses, just remember to bring it in from the garage before you have a nosey neighbor stop by... Unless she's cute I guess!

Another recommendation, I just ordered to lube my sliding windows that are made of Vinyl:

RC car silicone shock oil.

I got Team Associated 60wt, they were $6.88 each, contain 2oz of oil.

I bought 4 as I lube the sliding French door all Winter as I need to access the deck to shovel off the snow.

Will also use this on my door seals at some point. The Wurth lube is still holding up after 5 years.

Originally Posted By: sshazam
Falken said:
Have you found any down sides to using that product ?

No, no down sides to report. Perfectly satisfactory product for lubricating sunroof slides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back