Gun control/being safe out there....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our Tennessee Lt-Gov. posted this on Facebook, wow.

Tennessee Lt. Gov. Ron Ramsey responded to the mass shooting at an Oregon community college in a Facebook post Friday saying that “fellow Christians” should consider getting a handgun carry permit to protect themselves.

If somebody was armed in Oregon it would seem that a fella executing folks might be stopped. Sounds like a terrorist situation, but I guess it's apparently gun control.

What does being Christian have to do with it? Jews should have CCWs, atheists should have CCWs, Muslims should have CCWs, everyone should have CCWs. I heard a blind lady talking on the radio about how blind people should be able to have CCWs. I'm still on the fence about that one...

I'm guessing that the discussion about the shootings in Oregon got nasty?
The point was that it gave rise, yet again, for folks to start harping on about gun control. However there are other issues:
a) If others there had guns they would perhaps have been able to intervene or defend themselves.
b) The guy was apparantly known to heve some sort of mental health problems (if the reporting is correct).
c) I have not yet seen anywhere whether the gun/s were obtained legally or not.
I think that all of these, and perhaps others, are points that are worthy of discussion before leaping onto gun control as a first reaction.
Gun controls were introduced in the UK and did it stop gun crime? If you get the unmassaged figures the answer is no. In fact gun crime increased following the 'gun ban'.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al
I wonder how long this thread will last?

Not long Al because someone will come in and destroy any kind of civil discussion, again.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
What does being Christian have to do with it? Jews should have CCWs, atheists should have CCWs, Muslims should have CCWs, everyone should have CCWs. I heard a blind lady talking on the radio about how blind people should be able to have CCWs. I'm still on the fence about that one...

I think the statement is just meant to reflect that Christians seemed to be the main targets of the shooter.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
What does being Christian have to do with it?

Wasnt the shooter an alleged Christian hater?

There is a little more to it. This guy was a legit wack job. He did line people up and asked what their religion was. Christians were shot in the head. Other religion affiliations were still shot, but in other parts of the body.

No matter what your gun control stance, get educated from RELIABLE sources. Know what your talking about before you just take a stance on either position. Gov't own data strongly suggests the more restrictive states have a much higher incidence of gun violence. Not fiction or skewed, that is verifiable fact. Not saying other variables don't have effects.

What is truly mind boggling is that all the talk centers around gun control when clearly this is a mental health issue. Almost every single shooter that has brought randon violence in this manner has been on or should have been on 1 of 5 mind altering prescriptions. Yet everyone is so entrenched in pro gun and anti gun sentiment the real issue is lost.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT

What is truly mind boggling is that all the talk centers around gun control when clearly this is a mental health issue. Almost every single shooter that has brought randon violence in this manner has been on or should have been on 1 of 5 mind altering prescriptions. Yet everyone is so entrenched in pro gun and anti gun sentiment the real issue is lost.

Tada

I'm all for ccw but you need to take some type of training

There is about as much chance that guns will be removed from the US as Crazy people will be removed/medicated.

Not gonner happen, at least in my lifetime.

These stories are getting old hat, everything that could be said has been said five times.
People will get hot under the collar, and this thread will be locked.

Been there done that.

I don't have a problem with what the Governor said. It seems that the school was a "gun free zone" and the security guard was unarmed. The police, after they arrived (when seconds count) dispatched the low life in short order. A well trained security guard would have no doubt done the same. So, the "educational elite" who know better declared a "gun free zone". How'd it work out for them.

Last edited:
Christians are having a rough time in lots of places these days, especially in the United States and Iraq.

Our government has accepted every Muslim that has applied for asylum from Iraq. That is 4,800 so far but only 750 Christians from Iraq out of the 10,000 or so that have applied. It's the Christians in Iraq that are being murdered as fast as the Muslims can shoot them.

You have that spot on. The most common theme seems to be mental health so isn't that where attention and resources should be focussed?

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Could part of the problem be this:

Putin is sending in troops to protect Christians while our pres. is funding rebels that behead Christians?

+1 while I don't 100% trust Putins motives, it is odd that Russia being a predominantly atheist/communist nation is the one taking on terrorism.

I hate how these events are treated.
These vultures eave the bodies of the kids around in media before the blood had time to dry to push their agenda. It is disgusting.

As some one once said "dead kids make bad laws".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back