new turbo owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just got my first turbo charged car a 2014 VW SE. I have read that I should let it idle for 30 seconds before I put in drive to get oil into the turbo and I also read I should idle for about a minute before I shut her down.

Are those real tips or maybe a bit outdated?

Thanks for your help!

No need to idle. I just wouldn't mash on the gas pedal until the oil is good and warm. Just drive normal for a couple of miles, then let her rip. Have fun

A 30 sec idle on first start is a good idea on any vehicle. Being turbocharged I would idle it before shutting it off if you have been running it really hard, otherwise there is no need under normal driving.

As mentioned take it easy for a few miles. Don't boost it hard on a cold engine.

Not needed. Drive normally and you'll be fine. Now, if on your way home you're auto-crossing in your neighborhood and screech to a stop in your driveway, let it cool down.
whistle.gif

Id be more concerned about NOT going to full boost until the oil is up to temperature just because of the stresses of full boost forced induction.

The getting oil to the turbo I don't buy as much frankly.

But the allowing it to spool down, cool down, etc., I do think is prudent. Modern turbos are water and oil cooled (as opposed to just oil cooled), and many modern cars can still blow fans and run coolant after the engine is shut down... But letting everything stabilize is smart. Would I be overly concerned about doing it though after driving around town at 25 mph and pulling into your driveway? No. After immediately slowing down from a sustained 75 MPH on the interstate to get gas at a rest stop? Definitely.

I think its a good idea to let any type of vehicle / engine idle for 30 seconds or so before putting it in drive and shooting off. Just let the engine fully warm up before romping on it, your owners manual even says this. As others have said, if you have been "driving like you stole it" its not a bad idea to let it idle down for a minute or before shutting off, but if your driving tame that's probably not necessary. Just keep the oil changed with the proper spec, and let the engine warm up before spirited driving and you should be golden. My girlfriend also has a 2014 Jetta SE 1.8 TSI, its a very refined feeling engine for its class, and is very torquey down low. Have fun and enjoy! Do you have any pics of it? Here is the GF's....
20150424_1453351_zpsbhu2o5u3.jpg

let the engine fully warm up as well as lubrication temps before hammering the throttle. a cold engine can also blow a head gasket ...I did this once.

My 2010 won't give you full boost until the oil is 150F. Until then it's limited to 5lbs. Almost all turbos now use coolant that will thermal siphon to cool the turbo bearings after shutting off the car.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
No need to idle. I just wouldn't mash on the gas pedal until the oil is good and warm. Just drive normal for a couple of miles, then let her rip. Have fun

This. Unless there are very low temperatures below 20 F, I would just start and drive off.

Originally Posted By: wn1998
So I just got my first turbo charged car a 2014 VW SE. I have read that I should let it idle for 30 seconds before I put in drive to get oil into the turbo and I also read I should idle for about a minute before I shut her down.

Are those real tips or maybe a bit outdated?

Thanks for your help!

Drive normally as you would and enjoy the car. The most important thing about turbo cars is using spec'd engine oil, changing it on time and checking/topping it. Enjoy!

My wife never does what you state nor idles down her 2005 Legacy turbo wagon. The OEM turbo/car has 196k miles it.

Drive it like any other car. Do be quasi-religious about changing oil on time with the correct stuff.

I drive my turbo Cruze fairly normally. 95% of the time it gets shut off when getting to a destination since the engine's been operating at a low power for a few minutes cruising through the neighborhoods where home and work are located. If the car just climbed a large hill, it'll be idled for a minute or so before shutting down.

Aren't most modern forced induction vehicles limited until warm ie nominal boost until minimum temps are realized?
If so then no worries on cold start. If not take er easy til oil temps reach 150f.

Originally Posted By: madRiver

Drive normally as you would and enjoy the car. The most important thing about turbo cars is using spec'd engine oil, changing it on time and checking/topping it. Enjoy!

My wife never does what you state nor idles down her 2005 Legacy turbo wagon. The OEM turbo/car has 196k miles it.

^^ This. You all would bring if you see how I drive my Ecoboosts. Come out of work 2 lefts and I'm on a 55 mph highway. And within 1/2 mile there is a light and a straight stretch of road. If I feel like nailing it when I get the red/green - warm or cold I do.

If I'm getting gas the idle to the station is all she gets before shutoff.

The truck, well if it needs to tow the trailer warm or cold it does. And the trailer weighs 9k lbs. Cool down is usually whatever it takes to get the chocks set.

Change it frequently and use good stuff and you'll be fine. Any doubts, search out Ford's Ecoboost turbo torture videos. They do way worse to these engines.

Last edited:
Unless you are really hammering it right up until you shut it off there is absolutely no need to let it idle. On a cold morning I would give it a second before taking off.

I am not a VW person but I do like that 1.8T. I was in California in May for over a week, my 4 door sedan was "upgraded" to a convertible when I got there. Mayweather fight, everyone took the sedans to Vegas. At first I was not happy with my two choices, Beetle or Chrysler. I asked if the Chrysler had a 3.6L. Answer "no, 2.4." Beetle turbo charged? "Yes" I will take it. Suitcase hardly fit. I beat the [censored] out of that 2015 bug for 1100 miles. At one point my running average was 13.6 mpg. You couldn't see a [censored] thing out of it but I was pretty happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back