2010 Corvette LS3, GC 0W-30, 35,040 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car has a dry-sump oiling system that holds 10.5 quarts. While mileage was low, this had 6 HPDE track days on it (Lime Rock, Palmer, Thompson), about 11 hours of track time. Using a delco UPF-48 filter, German Castrol Edge 0w-30, stock air filter.

Oil gets up to about 250F at it's hottest on a hot day, though still pulls ~55psi of oil pressure. Looking at the copper and lead, I wonder if I should move up to a 0w-40. (the middle oil change on here was M1 0W-40, previous were PP 5w-30)

corvette%20UOA%202015.jpg

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I would recommend NOT to run a long-life oil if you are going to change early - use a race oil with low(er) detergency. That should bring the chemical etch of your soft metals lower across the OCI. Joe Gibbs Driven RACING OIL XP3

I don't usually agree with you however this post does make sense.

You can't use most of the pure racing oils due to high ZDDP which can cause metallurgical surface issues if used long term.

M1 0w-40 essentially is a racing oil used in a lot of endurance Porsche races with others. You can't do any better than M1 0w-40 or the similar euro spec GC 0w-30. I might be tempted to put in a container of LiquiMoly MOS2 or their CeraTec to get those particles to embed in the babbit surface of the bearings though. It couldn't hurt and it might do something good.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
LS engines shed a lot of copper normally. 0w40 will likely be close to the same viscosity as the GC 0w30

Nailed it. If you are speaking of M1, Ow-40 is actually on the lighter side. Couple this with a high performance tune and you get 30W pretty quickly.

This is the reason for factory recommended 3k mile oil changes in my car. And M1 Ow-40 is right on my cap...

I was actually thinking of trying the new German Castrol 0W-40, had OK results in my Audi with it, and it's a bit thinner to start than M1, which shears down to being thinner.

There are other U.O.As, posted with the same concern with the Vette engines.

Originally Posted By: smonska
I was actually thinking of trying the new German Castrol 0W-40, had OK results in my Audi with it, and it's a bit thinner to start than M1, which shears down to being thinner.

I think you've got that backwards. The m1 has a higher viscosity index and I'm pretty sure it's thinner when cold.
Both oils meet the same specs and iirc have identical certs

I read an article from Porsche. There was the obligatory "which oil is best for my Porsche" and the answer went like this(I'm paraphrasing)

Porsche certifies oils after rigorous testing on the track and on the bench so if the oil carries the official Porsche certification then it is equal in service vs any other certified oil.
They basically said if certified they are on a level playing field,so since both the castrol 0w-40 and the m1 0w-40 both carry the same Porsche cert(among others) then they will perform similarity in service.
I've used both in my charger. The m1 was a bit noisier however the engine free revs a bit faster with it. The castrol was much quieter however there almost felt like there was more drag with the castrol.
Both are top quality and I'd use either or anytime. I liked the liqui-moly 0w-40 thT meets the same euro specs and it was my favorite because with it the engine free revd like m1 and was as quiet as castrol,however it was too costly for me to use again.
I can find castrol and m1 euro on sale for 30 bucks a jug and I stock up when those prices are available.

Originally Posted By: MrFixerUpper
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
What is with the mieage in your title?

+1. Am I missing something?

I'd say you are. It's a typo of the 3500 mile oil change interval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back