PPPP 10w30 4GR-FSE UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
The oil is NOT Pennwood. This is my first run of the Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus stuff. Previous fills were M1 5w30, and a couple changes at the dealership(God knows what). PP was used not because I believe it is magick juice or I "made the switch", it's because of the $5/qt and NOACK of 4.7%. Filter was a WIX 57173 . Maybe 40% HWY driving. Rest is city/rural. Viscosity is fine, silicon is great considering the K&N. Iron ... the drain plug with the viciously strong magnet was stuck in the stream, I let it rinse, maybe 4-5 qt. worth before taking the sample. Still, I'm ok with a 9. Now PP supposedly starts with a 12TBN(??), and good thing, 4.23 in just over 5K. Expected boron in there, since M1 and Platinum supposedly use it, and did not expect Mg to hang around this long, used to top off with RT6. No Fuel, so much for the DI scare, the NA&K is low, but there, coolant is clean, so is oil...
Honestly not impressed or depressed, might just do PYB 10w30 at 5K, since PP is not holding it's TBN. If I get the PP cheap, I'll do 6-6.5K miles.
What you guys think?

Expected more for a short run, but come to think of it, someone motioned TBN depletion isn't linear, but more like a viscosity curve. In that case I'd stand corrected.

If it were Synpower, the criticism would be "this is not a long drain synthetic, get something else."

But, as i would defend Valvoline, so to for PPPP. It looks fine to me and as someone said earlier in the thread, TBN depletion is not linear.

10w30 with such a low Noack is the best you can do for the IS250 at the moment. I'd probably run it till 10k but it may not be as good for the intake valve deposit as dumping it early at 5k like you did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back