Paint source

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was inquiring today at a local shop about removing factory decals. He noted they were petroleum based. But what about paint?

Paints artists used before petroleum was drilled.

Automotive basecost/clearcoat....enamels

House- indoor/outdoor

And any other others not mentioned

The decal glue is petroleum based? The decalas are already off and you want to wipe off the residual glue without messing up the paint? You didn't heat the decal and you peeled too quickly. A few things to try: makeup wipes, citrus oil, peanut butter (crunchy for grit), WD-40, turpentine. Try it on a friend's car first.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Gasoline will work.

I figured he was looking for a more exotic method.

wd-40 is good for this.. not much else
smile.gif

3M actually makes a disc that attaches to a drill that's made specifically for removing decals. Lots of body shops use them. It removes the decal but won't damage the paint.

If the decal is already removed and you're just trying to clean off the adhesive residue, try Goo Gone.

KD0AXS,

Yes, he said something like that would be his best method.

Rest: the factory name on the tailgate. The used to use a metal plate that spanned the tailgate, not it is some kind of 'sticker'.

FYI, i found removing name plates and such, that are glued down...with bug splatter sponges, heat from the sun and dental floss....

Oh yeah...the reason for the post is I am asking where paint comes from.

Is it processed from crude oil. Is it liquified metal ores? From plants?

Oh, we have oil based and water based for artists? Is the oil plant derived?

What for automotive finishes, powdercoating?

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Oh yeah...the reason for the post is I am asking where paint comes from.

Is it processed from crude oil. Is it liquified metal ores? From plants?

Oh, we have oil based and water based for artists? Is the oil plant derived?

What for automotive finishes, powdercoating?

Early automotive paint was varnish. Varnish is made from vegetable oil, resin and a solvent. Next came enamel paint, based on alkyd resins, which consist of pigment in an acrylic emulsion. Then came polyurethane paint, which is water or oil-based. Eventually the amount of toxic solvents was reduced or eliminated through the use of water-based paint. Powder coating is done with pigment and resin baked to a surface. The oil used in paint is typically derived from flax or comes from other plant-based sources or from petrochemicals. Considering that one little 1/2 fl oz container of Testors acrylic model paint costs now $4, I think it's made with petrochemicals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back