Unknown ATF, 41k miles, 2006 Ford Explorer 6R60

Status
Not open for further replies.

e40

New to me 2006 Ford Explorer V8, with the 6R60.

Unknown ATF. What I have in the service records are a 'Transmission Flush' at 100k miles at Big-O tires, then at 124k miles, 6 quarts of 'Synthetic ATF' was used during a bulkhead connector replacement.

I have not changed the oil yet, I drew it with a vacuum pump.

Lab was ALS, using the $13.99 NAPA kit. It took less than 1 week for this report, and I shipped the sample in a priority mail box along with the engine oil sample.

expl-trans-165k.jpg

The 6R60/80 is the transmission currently used in the F150. Is it better than the 5r55? I'd certainly say so.

The earlier 6R60's can have some quirks. Mine is great in my '07 explorer. Mine has also had the bulkhead repair - changed the filter too as long as the pan was off.

I would have it completely drained and refilled again with spec fluid or equivalent, as it seems there are still contaminants left over from the FF.

Yes, I have 12 (?) quarts of Mercon SP ready to go. I was waiting for my father in law to get something else off his hoist first. Probably be this weekend..

Not a long one, just the small yellow one integrated into the filler cap. That's why I haven't changed it yet. I want it on the lift so I can stand under there and do the dipstick check with it hot and idling. (right next to hot exhaust that should be fun..)

Exactly right - that's why I had the shop do mine - no access to a lift and dealing with the dipstick next to the exhaust while laying on my back under the Explorer didn't sound like fun...

So yes, the 6R60/80 has a dipstick, but no, it isn't easy to use...

Change the filter too.

Looks OK but lots of wear PPM especially considering previous maintenance. TAN is good. Visc is good.

Call the shops that you have service records for and see what brand of ATFs were used.

The zinc is what I'd worry about. Its not in either SP or LV. Not common in lower visc universal or multivehicle ATFs. It could be from transmission wear or a fluid-converter-type additive. So, what transmission parts have zinc plating, zinc alloy, zinc bearing, or zinc whatever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back