VW TDI / were they making more power than claimed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Originally Posted By: CT8
I am heartbroken VW was caught what ever the reason.

This is just sad commentary of the state of our country. If someone ever does something illegal against you, should we state that we are heartbroken they were caught?

This assumes the EPA represents everyone. They don't. Your statement is purely political and not really appropriate here.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

This is just sad commentary of the state of our country. If someone ever does something illegal against you, should we state that we are heartbroken they were caught?

This assumes the EPA represents everyone. They don't. Your statement is purely political and not really appropriate here.

There is nothing political about my statement. I repeat that it is sad that someone says they are heartbroken that someone was caught breaking the law. It represents people in this country that believe that if they don't like the laws they they should have the right to break them.

Originally Posted By: Trav
There is some misunderstanding. Yes the HP numbers were probably lower due to the algorithm they used to change engine parameters when the ecm detected a IM drive cycle.
If you were to dyno for max HP that algorithm would not be triggered because you would run up it full throttle which is never used in IM test cycles.

The published HP numbers were achieved with full throttle so the "cheat" algorithm would not be engaged because no emission drive cycle was detected.

That's right. To my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong), the emissions issue that the EPA is concerned about occurs mostly at idle and low output engine operations or ultra lean burn mode when the highest levels of NOx is emitted. That's when fuel is injected just before combustion. When you put an engine through full load (i.e. acceleration or high RPM speeds) NOx does not factor in as much due to the higher presence of oxygen and valve overlap sucks away most of the NOx. Fuel is injected as air is sucked in during the intake cycle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: badtlc

Since the EPA is appointed they "represent" their benefactors. Non-elected agency with a clear agenda....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back