M1 0W40, 11.7k mi, 07 Sprinter gasoli (vs. AMSOil)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: timeau
Amsoil has just 1634 ppm of calcium? This is Mid-SAPS oil, right? So the TBN started from 8 instead of almost 12 in Mobil1. You are comparing apples with oranges.

Agree, OP why not run Amsoil Full saps? It is cheaper than mid saps as well as has a TBN that is a match to M1 0w40.

I would run Amsoil Full saps 12k miles and compare the results.

Originally Posted By: Leonardo629
OP: you said M1 costs half as much as Amsoil?

Yes. The AMSOil was a shop oil change, so perhaps there's extra mark-up I'd not have to endure if I were buying it myself, but AMSOil was $109 for 10 qts and M1 was $52, minus $12 if my MIB comes through, for the same amount.

Amsoil has just 1634 ppm of calcium? This is Mid-SAPS oil, right? So the TBN started from 8 instead of almost 12 in Mobil1. You are comparing apples with oranges.

Well, it's not completely apples and oranges. They are both the recommended weight and grade for my vehicle. I suppose one can argue AMSOil was unaffected by it's lower TBN, but I've already covered my concern there. My usage is very sporadic so I'm concerned about it sitting, or doing a number of short trips for many months with a low TBN.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Agree, OP why not run Amsoil Full saps? It is cheaper than mid saps as well as has a TBN that is a match to M1 0w40.

I would run Amsoil Full saps 12k miles and compare the results.

Mid-SAPS was what the shop doing the oil change put in it. As for comparing against the Full-SAPS, you might well be onto something there, but as I've said, I'd prefer to consider this a solved problem and get on with other things. David Newton has heavily influenced my thoughts on oil -- it's pass/fail vs. finding and using the best in class.

Cheers.

I can't believe people are seriously comparing Fe levels for two different oils, different run conditions, and single data point for each. Doesn't anyone learn anything on this site anymore?

Nope; I believe you're not thinking of the correct one as Amsoil has a new 0w40...oh and where are you getting the Calcium ppm? Anyway here's the stats:

0W-40
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100ºC, cSt (ASTM D445) 14.8
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40ºC, cSt (ASTM D445) 85.7
Viscosity Index (ASTM D2270) 181
CCS Viscosity, cP @ (ºC) (ASTM D5293) 5836 (-35)
Flash Point ºC (ºF) (ASTM D92) 224 (435)
Fire Point ºC (ºF) (ASTM D92) 248 (478)
Pour Point ºC (ºF) (ASTM D97) -51 (-60)
NOACK Volatility, % weight loss (g/100g) (ASTM D5800) 8.1
High-Temperature/High-Shear Viscosity @ 150ºC (ASTM D5481) 3.9
Total Base Number (ASTM D2896) 12.6

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
I can't believe people are seriously comparing Fe levels for two different oils, different run conditions, and single data point for each. Doesn't anyone learn anything on this site anymore?

No, and now that you brought it up, you're going to have to explain it to everyone why this is a terribly bad idea.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Really all it boils down to is wear.
Example Oil A gave 50ppm iron and still has a TBN of 4
Oil B gave 12ppm and has a TBN of 0

Which oil did better? Oil B

I would try a 3rd oil, maybe Rotella 5w40, or castrol 0w40

If the Amsoil really costs double based on the uoa I would go with the m1 and go 10k, but I think the amsoil gave you better wear.

As far as shear is concerned do you have virgin oil numbers for viscosity? So we can tell how much they both dropped?

You have to compare the change from new oil to old oil not old m1 vs old amsoil

Nonsense.

Doug is already hoping his isn't going to go sideways however I got tam point out that the comment about "it all coming down to wear is utter and complete nonsense,and even though it gets posted here on this site almost daily now you CANNOT COMPARE WEAR LIKE THIS.
WEAR CAN ONLY BE MEASURED WITH AN ENGINE TEAR DOWN. NO OTHER WAY IS ACCURATE.
K. I'm done yelling.
Why is this concept so difficult to understand. What about it isn't comprehend able.

Both oils did fine. Mobil is cheaper.
Enough said

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back