Fully synthetic (group IV or V) VW504.00 motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: riggaz
At 10 - 15kkm oil changes i'd go for the fixed interval servicing.

5w-40 vw 502.00

I think the same.
What are the real differences between 502 & 504.00 when changing oil every 15kkm ? (saps, TBN)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Janusz
Originally Posted By: riggaz
At 10 - 15kkm oil changes i'd go for the fixed interval servicing.

5w-40 vw 502.00

I think the same.
What are the real differences between 502 & 504.00 when changing oil every 15kkm ? (saps, TBN)

For your Superb, I would go with VW 502.00.
VW 504.00 has low starting TBN. I know for a fact that Polish gasoline is OK, but I would go with 502.00.

Originally Posted By: Janusz
So, what are the advantages of 504.00 oils ?

For you? Nothing. For VW/Skoda? Lower HTHS and with that little improvement in consumption.
However, VW did not came out with that spec because of gasoline engine, it came out with that spec for diesel primarily because of DPF. VW504.00 is there just to state: yes, you can use it in gasoline engines. It might prevent some deposit build up, but considering that EU engines have different burn then US engines, that is not of your concern.

Can one postulates that 504.00 of enhanced piston deposit and sludge control over 502.00 , may be suitable for a 502.00 spec'd engine that's ill-maintained previously ?

Originally Posted By: zeng
Can one postulates that 504.00 of enhanced piston deposit and sludge control over 502.00 , may be suitable for a 502.00 spec'd engine that's ill-maintained previously ?

Not really. I would argue that best oils for that kind of issues are VW 502.00 such as Castrol 0W30, 0W40 or M1 0W40 etc.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: tudorart
For the 504/507 VW specifically wants 5W30 grade and GrIII base stock. Nothing else gets approved. That's why all you see is gr3.
It's the way the add pack was tested and the car testing as well.

Red Line 5W30 Euro is mostly PAO with a good dose of polyol ester and it is an upgrade over any approved product.
The GTL 0w30 from shell is also an upgrade.

There is no VW oil that needs PAO/Ester formulation. Most are attainable with Gr2 but are allowed gr3. 0W30 506.01 is likely the most demanding for base stock but still not necessarily true syn.

VW 504.00/507.00 can be GrIII, IV or V.

...and can be 0W-30.

Originally Posted By: weasley
For the 504/507 VW specifically wants 5W30 grade and GrIII base stock. Nothing else gets approved. That's why all you see is gr3.
It's the way the add pack was tested and the car testing as well.

Red Line 5W30 Euro is mostly PAO with a good dose of polyol ester and it is an upgrade over any approved product.
The GTL 0w30 from shell is also an upgrade.

There is no VW oil that needs PAO/Ester formulation. Most are attainable with Gr2 but are allowed gr3. 0W30 506.01 is likely the most demanding for base stock but still not necessarily true syn.

VW 504.00/507.00 can be GrIII, IV or V.

...and can be 0W-30.

Yeah, and? I think everyone knows that they are 5 and 0W30

For the 504/507 VW specifically wants 5W30 grade and GrIII base stock. Nothing else gets approved.

Sorry, this was what I was getting at. Clearly not everyone does know this. Also, base oils are not specified in the specs, just performance.

For the 504/507 VW specifically wants 5W30 grade and GrIII base stock. Nothing else gets approved.

Sorry, this was what I was getting at. Clearly not everyone does know this. Also, base oils are not specified in the specs, just performance.

Actually, base stocks are specified in VW brochure: Group III, IV and V, and it must be: 5W30 or 0W30.

Actually, base stocks are specified in VW brochure: Group III, IV and V, and it must be: 5W30 or 0W30.

Can you help me out then and point me to the right page/section? I have read through the 504 00 and 507 00 specifications and can't see it. My German ist nicht so gut though.

Can you help me out then and point me to the right page/section? I have read through the 504 00 and 507 00 specifications and can't see it. My German ist nicht so gut though.

I have somewhere some paper stating that, I will try to dig it out.

Originally Posted By: zeng

Not really. I would argue that best oils for that kind of issues are VW 502.00 such as Castrol 0W30, 0W40 or M1 0W40 etc.

Thanks , mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back