My brand new ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Grambo

Im boggled which oil to use here are my picks Liqui-moly 5w-40 or Total Liquid quartz 5W40 Or finally Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40.

Which one would you pick?

Thanks in advance Guys much appreciated.

Congrats on the new ride!

I'm going to go off your list and say that as of today's date, its practically impossible to out-perform M1 0w40 in a 40-weight class (0w40 or 5w40) oil. That's true enough without any caveat, but its even more true if you throw some weight on price and availability when you look at the whole picture. I'm sure more expensive offerings like Amsoil Signature, RP 5w40, and a few others compete well as lubricants, but not for price/availability. If someone reads this post in a few years, maybe the situation will be different.

My second choice would be your PPEuro 5w40.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stchman
Originally Posted By: hydrogen3
Avoid QS may my car sound louder.

There was a thread earlier that QSUD is a MUCH quieter oil than Mobil 1. I guess Mobil 1 will make that car sound like an old diesel.

Hyundai and Kia arent exactly known to be quiet though. My mom had a 2013 Elantra that sounded like a quiet VW TDI.

Don't let your enthusiasm allow you to forget the breakin routine.

Good looking car. Amazing what you can do with an Audi designer.
grin.gif

Last edited:
Stick with the recommended 5W-40 or 5W-30. Congrats on the new ride, I'm a Ford guy & I would proudly drive an Optima like yours.

As others have said, Kia mostly recommends Quaker State so I'd definitely try Ultimate Durability out. Other than that, any of the big name synthetics would work great. Mobil 1, SynPower, Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra Platinum, Castrol Edge, etc. I would personally go with the QSUD or SynPower.

Yes, I always choose my oil by sound- that's the only truly scientific method one can employ.

Originally Posted By: stchman
It looks like Kia for the 2.0L turbo says to use either 5W-30 or 5W-40.

I would use the Mobil 1 0W-40 European Car Formula. That oil has more certifications than I care to name and it can be had a Walmart for ~$27 for a 5 quart jug.

I would love to use M1 0W-40 but its not recommended or SPec'd in the owners manual I DON't WANT TO VOID THE WARRANTY

Has anyone tried the Total Quartz 9000 5W-40?

How much are you willing to spend? If it's just calling for an SM 5w-40, I'd suggest Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40. I won't suggest Rotella 5w-40 (even though I'd use it in that application) because Shell said not to use it.
wink.gif

If Total Quartz is a good buy and it meets the specifications, why not?

Originally Posted By: Garak
How much are you willing to spend? If it's just calling for an SM 5w-40, I'd suggest Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40. I won't suggest Rotella 5w-40 (even though I'd use it in that application) because Shell said not to use it.
wink.gif

If Total Quartz is a good buy and it meets the specifications, why not?

Yup, Shell said the same to me over the phone regarding RT6. I really don't see why not. It's a fleet oil with API SM certification and an SAE 5W-40 viscosity. Of course, that recommendation (or lack there of) was for my Santa Fe Sport which only recommends a 5W-30 or 10W-30 per owner's manual. But for a Sonata and Optima with the same 2.0T, it looks like a good fit to me.
21.gif

The OP is avoiding 0W for warranty concerns...

Originally Posted By: Grambo
I would love to use M1 0W-40 but its not recommended or SPec'd in the owners manual I DON't WANT TO VOID THE WARRANTY

Originally Posted By: wemay
Yup, Shell said the same to me over the phone regarding RT6. I really don't see why not.

I'd understand Shell's stubbornness over this if they actually had a competing product (i.e. an A3/B3 A3/B4 SM or SN) 5w-40 readily available on North American shelves. Since they don't if someone wants an SM 5w-40, Rotella fits, but they clearly don't want the sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back