3-row towing vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend is looking to change vehicles, to upgrade the tow rating.

He's been using a Chevy Traverse (3.6 l I think, w/ a tow-rating of c. 5000#) to tow a camper trailer w/ a dry weight of close to 4000#. By the time the trailer is loaded up, it's white-knuckle time with the Traverse in spite of the tow rating not being exceeded.

Requirements:

Tow rating closer to 6000# or better
3 rows of seats
Not too hard on gas

Given that he and his family put very few miles on the vehicle (averaging < 10K km/year), I don't think the fuel economy should necessarily be a major factor, but it is always a consideration here with our higher fuel costs. It's their only vehicle, so is not used only to tow.

The Traverse looks to be in excellent condition, and has very few miles on it (IIRC < 35K km on a 4 or 5 year-old vehicle) and should be worth top dollar.

He's thinking that a Durango might be best, preferably with a small V8, perhaps the 4.7. I would prefer a Tahoe or Suburban, but my friend thinks they're too big. I think a previous-generation Explorer would have done the job as well, but the Expedition would, like the Tahoe/Suburban, be too big.

To confound things, a mutual friend towing a slightly heavier 5th-wheel (and comparable frontal area) with a RAM 1500 finds the 4.7 somewhat taxed when climbing a hill or facing a headwind or crosswind, so the Durango might be better equipped with a larger engine. (Is the venerable 318 still around?)

So, I'd appreciate hearing from the BITOG crew on this. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

If it's white knuckled, then I can't imagine a Durango being that much better. He needs a big tow vehicle, and a Tahoe or Suburban would probably work good. He should test drive them and see how it drives.

Expedition is also a good consideration.

If the vehicle only gets 10k km/ yr, how many of those are actually with the trailer under tow?

I have to wonder if the three row requirement would be better avoided, and get a vehicle that can tow the mass easier, even if not with the seating, then take a separate car... Or rent a truck and do the same?

Pretty sure you can rent suburbans...

Now if they're pulling the trailer 10k km/yr, may be a different story.

He's towing a 5000lb trailer and needs a vehicle with three rows of seats. How many passengers and how much luggage? Tongue weight of the trailer alone is 500lb to 750lbs. Payload capacity of the Traverse is a little over 1200lbs. With the passengers and luggage he is probably over the payload limit. Also what is the axle rating and is he over that? I would be looking at all of those issues before deciding on what tow vehicle to buy. Normally it is the payload capacity or axle capacity that get's you.

He will be over payload (or right at it) even with most half-ton trucks.

He needs at least a 3/4 ton truck. As another poster suggested-he needs to open the driver's side door of the vehicles he is considering at look at the PAYLOAD NUMBER.

Last edited:
I guessing its white knuckled because the traverse lacks enough wheel base. I feel once you get over a 16ft full size travel trailer , you need at least 13o inches of wheel base, and more weight.

He needs a suburban or an excursion

Last edited:
Probably out of your price range but MB GL350 blue tec fits the bill quite well.

7500 lb towing coupled to great diesel engine with excellent MPG overall including towing.

I hate towing threads on this forum.

"Obviously he is towing something larger than a squirrel, so he absolutely MUST have a GMC diesel max towing 3500+++"

I think a late model Trailblazer EXT with the 5.3L would do great...so would a Tahoe. Both are body on frame, and offer decent towing capabilities.

I have owned both the Trailblazer (although mine had the 4.2L I6) and the Saturn Outlook (same thing as Traverse), and the Trailblazer handled weight and towing MUCH better than the Outlook.

Originally Posted By: DriveHard
"Obviously he is towing something larger than a squirrel, so he absolutely MUST have a GMC diesel max towing 3500+++"

Theoretically, I agree. However, towing performance is a highly subjective evaluation, and what you find acceptable could be wholly disappointing/"white-knuckle" to another.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Tahoe with the 5.3L V8.
Suburban is overkill.

"At the same time, the Yukon’s limited interior space raises the issue of sport-ute usefulness. This is the most compact of the group, with an overall length just a tick under 199 inches. It has a maximum cargo volume of 105 cubic feet, and third-row seating is uninhabitable for adults. Consider: GM’s short-wheelbase Venture/Montana minivan is a foot shorter, weighs about 1350 pounds less yet provides 133 cubic feet of cargo space—27 percent more—and it will accommodate third-row adults (albeit with some murmuring). The point: Sport-utes, with their floors high over truck frames, have limited interior space."

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/the-least-trucky-of-the-bunch-page-4

You'll notice a 2500 Suburban won that comparison.

My solution to this problem is probably going to be a 09-12 Pathfinder. 6k towing, 3rd row for kids when its occasionally needed. Gas mileage is probably the same as a Tahoe, but I'd rather have the Pathfinders footprint for off road and parking lot duties.
Also what's so "white knuckle" about the drive with the traverse? HP or handling? With a proper hitch setup he should feel pretty good I'd think.
Send your buddy this link.
http://www.canamrv.ca/towing/car-videos/intrepid-towing-airstream/

Originally Posted By: madRiver
My friends SUV is wonderful and great on fuel.

MB GL350 SUV with diesel with 7500 lb towing....

The 08-09 diesel grand Cherokees also tow 7k, but no 3rd row seat.

I vote for an expedition, My step-dad had one until my mom wrecked it, they're very solid trucks.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
If it's white knuckled, then I can't imagine a Durango being that much better. He needs a big tow vehicle, and a Tahoe or Suburban would probably work good. He should test drive them and see how it drives.

Expedition is also a good consideration.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
What is the tongue weight? He is probably getting trailer sway from all the way of the trailer being in the back

A properly loaded trailer and a properly adjusted weight distribution/quality sway control goes a long ways towards a comfortable towing experience.

I'm not saying that the vehicle/RV in question isn't properly set-up, but a lot of people don't bother.

Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan
Originally Posted By: Miller88
What is the tongue weight? He is probably getting trailer sway from all the way of the trailer being in the back

A properly loaded trailer and a properly adjusted weight distribution/quality sway control goes a long ways towards a comfortable towing experience.

I'm not saying that the vehicle/RV in question isn't properly set-up, but a lot of people don't bother.

Whenever I hear white knuckle towing, I immediately think there isn't enough tongue weight.

I wonder if you could still find a nice clean used Chevy Astro or GMC Safari van? Plenty of room and they can pull atleast a 5000lb trailer and you can get AWD as well. Might be a cheap enough option to buy one as a sole tow/trip vehicle and keep the Traverse as a daily comfortable driver.

Just a thought.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back