Lubro Moly Q?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My cousin has a 1964-1/2 Mustang with the original 260 V8. He just recently got it running after sitting up for about 9 months. He did a tune up and oil change. He used PYB 10W30 and a MC FL-1A oil filter. The engine has over 190K original miles on it and leaks oil. He has 2 cans of LUBRO MOLY MOTOR OIL SAVER and wants to add both cans to the oil. Will this harm the engine in any way or will it help?

Motor Oil Saver has seal swell chemicals. I'd be a tad concerned about too much of that. It might not hurt. Taking a chance. We could harp on him for not just getting a high mileage oil, like Valv MaxLife etc. If we were really mean we could.

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
Motor Oil Saver has seal swell chemicals. I'd be a tad concerned about too much of that. It might not hurt. Taking a chance. We could harp on him for not just getting a high mileage oil, like Valv MaxLife etc. If we were really mean we could.

He is a PYB user only. He's scared to use any other type or brand of oil. I don't argue with him but I was just wondering about the 2 cans of LUBRO MOLY. He does not even know I am asking about this.
smile.gif

Sounds like too much seal swell chemicals, potentially.
We don't know if the old seals could just soak it all up and still be ok, or swell too much.

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
Sounds like too much seal swell chemicals, potentially.
We don't know if the old seals could just soak it all up and still be ok, or swell too much.

Yes, I agree with you on that.
I wonder if a newer vehicles engine could handle 2 bottles of LUBRO MOLY?

2 cans is crazy. I've never added more than one and it stopped whatever leak I was trying to stop.
Firstly what problem is he trying to fix.

Are there any negative side effects of this additive? I have a rear main leak thats not in the plan to repair, but would be nice to slow.

PYB already has quite a bit of Moly.
Add 1 can and it'll boost it about as far as he'll want to go.

I was 18 in 1964. It is amazing the darn engine even started well. I would say, just regular dino oil and take it for a spin. That engine is old, think about it , old seals and such, just take it easy and go get a burger and fries, and if she makes it home, you've had a good day....

i used pennzoil HM oil,a 1/2 can MOS2 and a 1/2 can MOS on my 97 oldsmobile to stop oil leak from oil pan gasket...
(but have not seen results on my 89 chevy truck using that combination for valve stem seals-smoke at start up)-still running this to give it more time as i put low miles on this truck annually.

Where is he leaking from? hope i didn't miss that above..

p.s. i love those old cars!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
i used pennzoil HM oil,a 1/2 can MOS2 and a 1/2 can MOS on my 97 oldsmobile to stop oil leak from oil pan gasket...
(but have not seen results on my 89 chevy truck using that combination for valve stem seals-smoke at start up)-still running this to give it more time as i put low miles on this truck annually.

Where is he leaking from? hope i didn't miss that above..

p.s. i love those old cars!

That seems reasonable. Maybe moly would help with sealing, its possible, and LM MoS2 has only base oil and moly in it. And a half can of Motor Oil Saver (aka, "Swell Seal Sweller") might be OK on top of Pennz High Mileage. I wouldn't use more than all that. It is possible to have to much of the sweller chemicals.

Originally Posted By: buck91
Are there any negative side effects of this additive? I have a rear main leak thats not in the plan to repair, but would be nice to slow.

Buck91, my dad owns a 2006 LTC with 130K miles on the 4.6 V8. After pouring a new driveway he parked on it and noticed an oil leak. He took it to the local (58 miles away) Ford dealership and was quoted $750 to R&R the RMS.
A local indy garage mechanic told him to use a HM oil and a can of LUBRO MOLY OIL SAVER to help slow down the leak until he could get it repaired.
My dad used some 5W20 VML and 1 can of LUBRO MOLY. Within 5K miles the leak had completely gone away. Since then he only uses VML at every OCI.
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

Too late. My cousin poured both bottles into the engine. I tell you what, it sure doesn't make any unusual noises upon start up and while running.
The oil pressure at start up was 56 psi cold. Now, when cold, the oil pressure is 65 psi upon start up. Opinions?
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: hatt
I would have overhauled that old engine.

He has plans for the Mustang.
It is an original red exterior, white interior, white convertible roof, automatic transmission with factory a/c, Mustang.

I don't think factory A/C was offered until 67. An early Mustang with 190K has had to have had 1/2 the parts replaced. My family had three of them with nowhere near those miles. You don't see many old Mustangs running around anymore.

Originally Posted By: Turk
PYB already has quite a bit of Moly.
Add 1 can and it'll boost it about as far as he'll want to go.

No moly in the motor oil saver. Lots of boron though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back