Genuine Honda VOA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to compare the Genuine Honda that I have been getting in my oil changes up till recently, with what Kendall and Motorcraft have in their bottles (all made by ConocoPhilips). A search in this forum didn't turn up any VOA for Genuine Honda, nor did a web search. Does anyone have one?

I haven't seen one, but you should be able to roughly compare additive packs from used oil analyses. Viscosity will change with use and contamination, so that comparison will be much less useful.

Despite Honda's claims about the unique qualities of its branded oil, I suspect it's really just a typical blend or full synthetic. And Honda's full syn almost surely contains lots less PAO than Mobil1 EP 0w-20, for example.

It's been years now--since Honda/COP oils came out--that another member did VOAs on both the semi and the full. I was interested because my daughter's Accord was in the class action settlement for the V6 VCM.

My poor memory recalls solid but unremarkable stats. Because I was worried about my daughter's engine, I used the full exclusively for a while doing UOAs on each fill run to the OLM numbers. Long story short-I proved to myself that the Honda oils perform to the Accord V6's OLM (~8,000 miles). Used stats, while acceptable, we're not as good as TGMO specifically.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Danh
I haven't seen one, but you should be able to roughly compare additive packs from used oil analyses. Viscosity will change with use and contamination, so that comparison will be much less useful.

Despite Honda's claims about the unique qualities of its branded oil, I suspect it's really just a typical blend or full synthetic. And Honda's full syn almost surely contains lots less PAO than Mobil1 EP 0w-20, for example.

It was the additive pack that I was thinking about (comparing Motorcraft and Kendall), so perhaps that should let me know how much of, say, moly, zinc, etc. would be in a UOA of each. I have no illusions about the quality of Honda oil, in the sense of it being superior to anyone else's. But I gotta say that my Civic did an average of 8800 miles in between oil changes on it (mainly dusty highway), and no problems at 180K, so it has to be a decent oil. I just was wondering how much better the Kendall or Motorcraft would be, that's all.

There are a limited number of sources for base oil and approved additive packages. Given a similar spec and approvals, viscosity and retail price I don't see how there can be much in the way of real world differences between two brands of oil when you consider their potential performance. Some will have more of this and a bit less of that but in the end, how would you predict a difference in outcome? Slight differences in environment, driving and maintenance can make evaluating the contribution made by the oil at least very difficult.

Here is the analysis for their PSF, but I see you are looking for their PCMO's.

Appearance Lt. Pale
Flash, COC, Deg F. 355
Pour Point, Deg F. -40
Viscosity, cSt
At 40 C. 53.75
At 100 C. 11.34
Viscosity Index MIN 205
Viscosity, Brookfield cP @ -40C < 64000
Oxidation Stability, D-2272 > 200 minutes
Copper Corrosion 3A Max.
Zn Content, ppm. 1500
P Content, ppm. 1300