Calgary beer available in the U.S.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in 1991-2 I was able to find Calgary in 25oz cans in the Chicago and Souther Ill. U. area. I talked to a couple beer stores locally here in Mid-TN that carry a large assortment of things I've never heard of, but they say that "can't get it" (a pat answer because they don't want to go through the trouble for a small sale) or they've never heard of it.

Is this brew still in existence and attainable in the U.S?

Thanks Horatio!
cheers.gif

heh...I LIVE in calgary and I wonder if I can get it. I have a friend in Chicago who's into microbrews ; I'll shoot him an e-mail and see if he's heard of it.

Greg

OK so I e-mailed my buddy and he hasn't heard of the stuff yet but I'm sure he'll do a little research this weekend when he gets a change
cheers.gif

Greg

It still exists; I saw it at the liquor store a couple weeks ago. I've only seen Calgary beer in Saskatchewan though. I believe it's brewed in Regina by Molson.

HI Gang, When I toured Western Canada, by motorcycle in the '80's, I ran across a great beer called "OLD STYLE Pilsner", brewed by Sick Brewery in Lethbridge, Alberta. The label had a Wright Flyer, on it. Cold, that beer had the most pleasant and refreshing taste I have ever enjoyed. The locals called it Swill.

Is it still brewed and marketed? I researched it and Sick, was bought by Molsons.
cheers.gif

Back in 1967, I went to Expo 67 in Montreal. Canada at that time had rather arcane regulations involving sales of beer brewed in one province in another province. However, for Expo, there was a general dispensation so the Canadian brewers could have a pavilion where all beers brewed all across Canada could be sampled.

Somebody told me to make sure I try the "Calgary Stock Ale". It supposedly was the strongest brew in Canada.

I so did. I had two, and my head was spinning.

Six years later, I was in Calgary, and toured the Calgary Stock brewery. I asked about the "Calgary Stock Ale", and they said that it had been discontinued, because beer and ale prices were price fixed based on alcohol content, the highest category being over 6.5%. Calgary Stock Ale, depending on the batch, had an alcohol content of 16 to 20%
shocked.gif
and therefore was discontinued, because they could not make a profit on it at the allowed price.

In today's political/legal environment, I suspect anyone brewing something up to 20% would be sued in a lot of DWI/accident cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back