HOA's. Hate them or love them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JerryBob
I have a neighbor up the street whose lawn is all torn up, has just dumped landscaping rocks on the sidewalk, and torn curtains on the windows.

We don't have an HOA. Wish we did.

JerryBob, have you asked your neighbor if he needs some help with his yard or pile of rocks? Maybe he is unable to keep up with things due to injury/illness/physical restrictions or maybe he lacks the time, knowledge, or tools to complete his project.

HOAs aren't that bad. Read the bylaws before you buy and make sure you can live with them. If they're too restrictive, don't buy. Don't be the guy that thinks he's above the rules and ignores them. That's like buying a house next to a farm or an airport and complaining about the smells or noise.

Originally Posted By: whip
HOAs aren't that bad. Read the bylaws before you buy and make sure you can live with them. If they're too restrictive, don't buy. Don't be the guy that thinks he's above the rules and ignores them. That's like buying a house next to a farm or an airport and complaining about the smells or noise.
^This x infinity.

I will never understand people who buy a house knowing there's a HOA in place and then whining that the HOA is preventing them from doing whatever they want with *their* property. Due diligence, people; it's a wonderful thing.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
The absolute WORST are the people who put foil in the windows.

How does someone putting foil in their windows affect you?

Originally Posted By: IveBeenRued

It's incredibly trashy looking. Who wants to invest time and money in maintaining their home and making it look good just to see a neighbor with foil in the windows suck any value you added to your home right out? It's a major reason I am in an HOA.

It's white trash and brings down the value of the other properties.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Aqua,

What is your price range to buy a home ?

Our bank gave us a preapproved loan up to $200,000.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

It's incredibly trashy looking. Who wants to invest time and money in maintaining their home and making it look good just to see a neighbor with foil in the windows suck any value you added to your home right out? It's a major reason I am in an HOA.

^^This is one of the main reasons I've agreed to live in an HOA.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: dailydriver

My HOA just informed me that I can NO LONGER even have my hood open, EVEN IN MY OWN DRIVEWAY, as I face a $50.00 fine for the 1st offense, going up to $100.00 for the second, and then $250.00 for EVERY ONE after that!!
mad.gif
crazy2.gif

Which is why I live @one mile away from my nearest neighbor. If you can't take a leak in your front yard your neighbors live TOO CLOSE!!!
Totally agree!!!

Yes, if and when I move next, that is the plan.
wink.gif

I would NEVER buy into an HOA controlled property and i would be hesitant to rent a home in any kind of HOA.

Good thing you're in the desert...you might drown if you ever went out in the rain!

It's white trash and brings down the value of the other properties.

If that's the only thing your neighbor is doing then who cares?

As for the comment about "Who wants to invest time and money into property if your neighbor doesn't?" Huh? Do you not have any personal pride?

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

As for the comment about "Who wants to invest time and money into property if your neighbor doesn't?" Huh? Do you not have any personal pride?

The first home I owned was not in an HOA and the neighbor I was referring to had an above ground pool with no fence that was visible from the front, the paint on their house had faded to nothing, since the backyard was all above ground pool they would let the dog out in the front yard on a lead so there was no grass along with never cleaning up after the dog, their asphalt driveway had crumbled to nothing...the place was a mess.

They weren't bad neighbors but every home since has been in an HOA so I don't have to look at something like that again.

HOAs aren't for everyone and although an HOA wasn't a requirement in subsequent homes I have purchased I got lucky and they were. My experiences have been positive and the value I get for my dues far outweighs any negatives. But I did thoroughly research the financials and CC&Rs before buying.

To answer your question and the thread title, I take personal pride in my home AND neighborhood which is why I love a well run HOA.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

The first home I owned was not in an HOA and the neighbor I was referring to had an above ground pool with no fence that was visible from the front, the paint on their house had faded to nothing, since the backyard was all above ground pool they would let the dog out in the front yard on a lead so there was no grass along with never cleaning up after the dog, their asphalt driveway had crumbled to nothing...the place was a mess.

They weren't bad neighbors but every home since has been in an HOA so I don't have to look at something like that again.

HOAs aren't for everyone and although an HOA wasn't a requirement in subsequent homes I have purchased I got lucky and they were. My experiences have been positive and the value I get for my dues far outweighs any negatives. But I did thoroughly research the financials and CC&Rs before buying.

To answer your question and the thread title, I take personal pride in my home AND neighborhood which is why I love a well run HOA.

I see what you're saying. It's good to know that you take pride.

Double edged sword, they can be your worst nightmare if they are run by a corrupt construction company who built the subdivision or just old bored busy bodies, but on the other hand they keep out the riff raff and maintain property values.

We've looked at a ton of prospective houses and only the ones in hoa's are free from either undesirables loitering around and migrating through,garbage and/or piles of broken kids toys all over the place,or people congregating bbq'ing in their front yards hooping and hollering.

We've looked at a ton of prospective houses and only the ones in hoa's are free from either undesirables loitering around and migrating through,garbage and/or piles of broken kids toys all over the place,or people congregating bbq'ing in their front yards hooping and hollering.

Most useful thing for HOA to do is keeping section 8 out.

Yep, then they all STOP and stare at you while you're getting the mail, driving or walking by.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back