Nokia/Motorola USB charging cables proprietary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got an older Motorola RazrM.

I recently came into possession of a phone charger (wall wart plus detachable USB cable) meant for Nokia Lumia. Even though the cable has a standard micro USB plug, and it plugs into my Motorola phone just fine, it will not charge the Motorola. When I swap the cable (still using the same Nokia wall wart charger) to a Motorola one, it charges just fine.

Didn't realize these cables were proprietary, despite looking the same on the outside. Just wondering if it's the Nokia cable that's proprietary or the Motorola one, or both? Why do manufacturers have to be such [censored] about power cables?

That wasn't so much Motorola's doing, more Verizon's (on old feature phones)

Sound's like the USB wall charger isn't strong enough for the Razr M

You want at least 5V @ 1A these days, most good chargers are 5V @ 2.4A

Then we could get into quick charging, and Qualcomm Quick Charge 1/2.0

Some USB cables may not have all the available power or ground wires connected in the plug ends. Probably the device wants to see multiple power and ground wires to safely carry the current. So the charge controller doesn't turn on when it doesn't see them.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
That wasn't so much Motorola's doing, more Verizon's (on old feature phones)

Sound's like the USB wall charger isn't strong enough for the Razr M

Actually, the original Motorola charger for this phone was only rated at .85A. This Nokia one is rated at 1.3A.

In any case, I just tried again today, and now it's charging. Not sure why it would not charge yesterday. Weird.

My Nokia chargers have worked in everything else they've been plugged into that is non-nokia and has a micro USB connection. Two different Nokia chargers for different phones for that matter.

(And vice versa - my Nokia's have charged fine on the other branded Micro USB chargers).

the bigger differences i've seen are on the casing of the connector.

Slight differences in the plastic plug or the springs may make the difference.

I only know Garmin GPS systems require special connectors with the pins tied so it won't go into PC mode.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454
Some USB cables may not have all the available power or ground wires connected in the plug ends. Probably the device wants to see multiple power and ground wires to safely carry the current. So the charge controller doesn't turn on when it doesn't see them.

I've personally seen at least one that look for USB device ID from the charger to see if it is the right model to charge at higher current.

I had same phone and was always annoyed my PC could not charge the phone itself. I had to use a Verizon/Motorola car charger or the supplied charger for it to work.

I loved the form of phone though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back