Bridgestone WS80

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to put some WS80s on my G35 coupe and was looking for some first hand experiences with them. I have never used a Blizzak but the WS80s seem to be getting quite positive reviews and they are reasonably priced. I will be mounting these on 17" rims in an unstaggered configuration of P215 55 17 so I can rotate them.

I will also likely need to replace the TPMS sensors. Is there any way to disable the TPMS light on a 2006 G35? The OEM TPMS sensors are ridiculously expensive at close to $100 each. That is 2/3 rds the value of the set of tires. Are the aftermarket sensors from Dorman okay? They are considerably less expensive.

Last edited:
Small piece of nice black tape/rubber/plastic covering the tire light on the dash
Works flawlessly

Is this a second set of rims or your only set?

If it is the second set I would go the tape route and save the extra money

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Small piece of nice black tape/rubber/plastic covering the tire light on the dash
Works flawlessly

Is this a second set of rims or your only set?

If it is the second set I would go the tape route and save the extra money
LOL

Why replace the sensors? Just tell 'em to be careful with 'em or you'll take your business elsewhere.

The light could come on now, or later. Or much later.

WS80 were introduced early this year, if I am not mistaken. There are not that many people who used them in winter.

Krzys

Tirerack.com has over 100 reviews on this tire. Looks like this will be second winter for the tire on the market. A co-worker has them on his car, ran them all last winter. Loves the traction capability.
Bought a set 2 weeks ago at Costco for the Mazda 3 in our home fleet. I trust they will perform very well.

CR in their test put WS80 at 3rd place behind Xi3 and R2.
Bridgestone are much noisier and have higher rolling resistance than top competition but performance seems to be comparable.

Krzys

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: krzyss
Bridgestone are much noisier and have higher rolling resistance than top competition but performance seems to be comparable.

Krzys

When comparing to a bottom of the barrel snow tire like Winterforce or Weathermaster ST/2 (both of which are better than any all-season by a long shot), the difference between WS-8-, XI-3 and Hakka R2 have to be splitting hairs.

They are definitely in a completely different league than an all season / touring / performance tire.

I'd still go for the Hakka R2 or WS80 myself.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
... the difference between WS-80, XI-3 and Hakka R2 have to be splitting hairs.

That seems to be the case, at least with tests that CR ran.
I did pick the cheapest of them in 215/55R16 - Xi3.

Krzys

Consumers at Tirerack ranked WS-80 as #1.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=W&VT=C&width=205%2F&ratio=55&diameter=16&tireSearch=true&filter=y&autoMake=Mazda&autoYear=2010&autoModel=Mazda3+4-Door&autoModClar=i+Sport

Krzys

Michelin Xi3 is for posers! Probably the worst winter tire in the deep snow, slush and adverse conditions.
They will do OK in ice. In dry they are by FAR the best. BUT, are you buying winter tires to perform good in dry?
X13 starts at 11/32 while Blizzak starts at 14/32. They are noisier? YES. Why? Very aggressive tread, huge channels to take out slush and water, very soft compound for ice conditions.

Originally Posted By: mb32
I'm looking to put some WS80s on my G35 coupe and was looking for some first hand experiences with them. I have never used a Blizzak but the WS80s seem to be getting quite positive reviews and they are reasonably priced. I will be mounting these on 17" rims in an unstaggered configuration of P215 55 17 so I can rotate them.

I will also likely need to replace the TPMS sensors. Is there any way to disable the TPMS light on a 2006 G35? The OEM TPMS sensors are ridiculously expensive at close to $100 each. That is 2/3 rds the value of the set of tires. Are the aftermarket sensors from Dorman okay? They are considerably less expensive.

Depends how you drive that car. WS80 is harder then WS70 and softer then LM-60. If you drive aggressively on dry, it might not be best solution. In that case Michelin Xi3 is best option, but of winter tires probably worst option in deep snow and slush.
So:
1. You drive a lot in deep snow, slush, adverse conditions? Yes, WS-80 is probably best option.
2. You drive a lot in cold dry conditions with black ice sometimes? Probably no then, get Xi3.

But since you are in Canada, I would get WS80 or Continental WinterContact.

Last edited:
I guess Hakkapellitta R2 is for posers too as they are not as loud as WS80.

Consumer rated #1 at TR does not mean much as these are just opinions.

Krzys

I guess Hakkapellitta R2 is for posers too as they are not as loud as WS80.

Consumer rated #1 at TR does not mean much as these are just opinions.

Krzys

I had once Nokian in my life, second winter my Rossignol skis had better traction.
But hey, his money.

You must have some funny surfaces where you drive.

Speaking of skis are you refering to traction going sideways or dead ahead?

Krzys

You must have some funny surfaces where you drive.

Speaking of skis are you refering to traction going sideways or dead ahead?

Krzys

Good question. Sideways. Nokian I had (BMW 525d xDrive) were horrible in curves. That problem was solved with Continentals TS 830 (which we do not get in the US, this was in Europe). Traction forward was OK, nothing special. Sideways? They reminded me of Hankook W300 I once had.

For a second year in a row, the WS80 has been unimpressive in the comprehensive winter tire testing done by Test World (a professional tire testing facility in Finland: http://www.testworld.fi). Their test results for consumers are published in various Scandinavian sources, the most easily accessible and free one being NAF.

Last year the WS80 had an overall score that placed it next to last among the 8 studless tires tested:
https://www.naf.no/forbrukertester/dekktester/vinterdekktest-2015/

This year, the WS80 has improved, to 5th place in a field of 11 studless tires. The results have not yet been published at NAF, but here is a preview:

Continental ContiVikingContact 6 **, 7,6
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 **, 7,5
Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice 2 **, 7,4
Michelin X-Ice XI3 **, 7,4
Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 *, 7,0
Sava Eskimo Ice *, 6,9
Hankook Winter i*cept IZ2 *, 6,9
Pirelli Ice Zero FR -, 6,7
Landsail Winter Lander -, 6,5
Yokohama Ice Guard ig50 Plus -, 6,5
Nankang Ice Activa Ice-1 -, 6,3

Above data from: http://www.btcf.fi/forum/showthread.php?t=132099&page=5

I have them on an '06 Honda Odyssey (2 winters). GREAT TRACTION! AMAZING! Before these I struggled getting up hills and slide though stop signs. Now I have full confidence on winter roads. I can drive circles around all the SUV's with their worn all-season tires.

2 complaints:
- noisier than expected
- wear faster than expected

positive:
- great build quality
- very few weights to balance
- seem very round and true

If you are writing about WS80 apparently they are amazing compared to all seasons.
It seems that there are two tires on US market that provide even better traction (at least per test in whatever conditions they did it):
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2
Michelin X-Ice XI3

Krzys

If you are writing about WS80 apparently they are amazing compared to all seasons.
It seems that there are two tires on US market that provide even better traction (at least per test in whatever conditions they did it):
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2
Michelin X-Ice XI3

Krzys

Michelin Xi3 will never have traction in snow like Blizzak WS-80, period!
Anything deeper then 2in of snow WS-80 will leave Xi3 behind.
As for Nokian, they are good, but they are good in very narrow segment, snow, ice. However, 70-80% of time in winter you drive in dry and wet. So you need well rounded tire, and champion in that are snow tires made for European amrket (which is by far the biggest winter tire market in the world). So of all tires, I think right now Continental WIntercontact SI is probably the best bet.
Michelin has even more sophisticated snow tires in Europe, and they always test as average at best. Nokian is same, always average.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back