Comma Classic oils SAE40

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 49 Plymouth always ran just fine on detergent 10w30, and I would *never* consider a non-detergent oil for any vehicle made after the 1920s.

Sounds like a way to get rid of some really crummy oil while simultaneously lightening customers' wallets.

Quote:
Traditional, non-detergent motor oil for 4-stroke petrol engines. Specially designed for the needs of classic & vintage cars.

Correct me if I am wrong but aren't detergents a good thing regardless of car age? Isn't it detergents that keep deposits and sludge from forming?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tojo1968
Quote:
Traditional, non-detergent motor oil for 4-stroke petrol engines. Specially designed for the needs of classic & vintage cars.

Correct me if I am wrong but aren't detergents a good thing regardless of car age? Isn't it detergents that keep deposits and sludge from forming?

I was thinking the same thing. My Plymouth flathead is supposed to clatter, just like a sewing machine. I run just about anything that is the cheapest, and that is probably the best it has ever had over the course of its life!

There is a sucker born every minute. ANY person that buys that product has WAY more money than sense. You wont find any support for that "oil" on this website.

Originally Posted By: Plumber
I was impressed by the description of the product, and why new oils are not good for a classic car.

Impressed you say?
48644.JPG

Quote:

Early detergent oils could cause bearing etching, likely due to low TBN... Sooo the myth perpetuates that detergent oil is bad for the oldies, nothing further from the truth...

You can buy same(their brand Traveler) from Tractor Supply for a fraction of cost...

Not always. In pre 1930 cars a detergent oil can cause much harm to some elements like gaskets and seals because on older vehicles they were not designed to stand modern oils chemistry, it's to agressive for old materials, the cars from the first half of 20-th century sometimes used even cork gaskets...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back