Liqui Moly MOS2 experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been reading about people's mostly-positive experiences with molybdenum additives, and was intrigued. Noticed some Liqui Moly oil additive @ NAPA and bought it on impulse.

We bought our '09 Mazda 5 (2.3 l Duratech, 5-speed MT) in '13 w/ only 52K km on it, but it's always used a litre of oil between changes. I'd say it's averaged a litre every 5 - 7K km. Kind of disappointing.

The engine specs 5W-20. I had the first two oil changes done at the dealership while there was still powertrain warranty remaining. It drank both Quaker State synthetic and Mazda 5W-20 synthetic. The winter of 2013/14 was severely cold, and I switched to M1 0W-20 partway through. The oil consumption continued, and the engine was quite noisy.

The next couple of oil changes were PP 5W-20, with consumption remaining fairly consistent.

I posted a few months ago about wanting to standardize on one oil for my fleet, and settled on M1 5W-30. (The 5 specifies 5W-20 year around, and the elderly Protege & MPV both specify 10W-30 above -18 C, and 5W-30 below. I figured I'd be fine with 5W-30 and did receive affirmation here on BITOG about that decision. M1 goes on sale regularly, and is priced attractively @ Walmart.)

Anyway, a few weeks ago Jr & his wife borrowed the 5 for a road trip to the Maritimes and it used about 1-3/4 litres of M1 5W-30 over 8K km. That's about 4600 km/litre (2850 miles/litre = 2375 mile/US quart). GRRRR!

Anyway, changed oil after they got back (M1 5W-30 again) and added a 300 ml can of Liqui Moly. After about 1500 km, the oil has not budged on the dipstick. The engine feels much smoother and seems to me to be much quieter. (The 1500 km includes our recent trip to Minnesota - the limit on the I-29 coming home was 75 MPH [120 kph], and little engine was really spinning but felt good.)

The smoothness & quietness are somewhat subjective, but I can't argue with the apparent drop in oil consumption.

I'll keep an eye on it and report back, but at this point am cautiously optimistic. I plan to add it to the other two vehicles.

I used it several times on at 1999 Saturn with 259,000 miles. These engines consume oil usually due to control rings being stuck.

This is my second engine and was getting smoke at stop signs. I tried the conventional solutions for reducing oil consumption for 10 years with no change. Tried MOS2 to see if I could have less smoke at idle and at full throttle. It took care of those problems. Engine was smoother/more responsive. I was using Mobil Delac which was a thicker oil. I skipped using it this time. Using Trop Artic 5w-30. Oil consumption is down a little. It transformed my car into something I want to keep for a while.

Added what was left in can to a 14 year old Toro mower. The Briggs engine smoked at start up. Took care of that problem also.

There's Something About Moly
large_mbjxlfb7Z9AFq74C79R4ssqrPeF.jpg

For clarification, are we talking about Liqui Moly:

MOS2 Anti-Friction Engine Treatment, which claims Engine wear protector or:

Motor Oil Saver (sometimes confusingly referred to as MOS), which claims - reduces oil consumption.

Originally Posted By: vintageant
For clarification, are we talking about Liqui Moly:

MOS2 Anti-Friction Engine Treatment, which claims Engine wear protector or:

Motor Oil Saver (sometimes confusingly referred to as MOS), which claims - reduces oil consumption.

MoS2 a.k.a. molybdenum disulfide. I haven't tried any other Liqui Moly products, but may in the future.

I've been using this stuff for years and sing its praises. In every 8 cylinder engine I've used it in I get better fuel economy. The fuel saving more than pay for the additive.
Now this site is filled with guys who balk at the use of additives with the typical answer being " what exactly is a finished engine oil missing" to them I just ignore.
I've never had a bad experience using liqui-moly additives.
I've read that mos2 causes deposits. Well I used it in my old 2v in a mustang for over 100000kms and upon tear down there wasn't any evidence of any deposits anywhere.
And I use it in my small engines at work and I've got compressors with near 20000 hours on the Honda gx engines and these engines have never had anything but oil changes done every 100 hours.
Their ceratec additive is supposed to kick butt in regards to wear however I can't confirm because I haven't had an engine wear out yet for me to tear apart that I've used it in.
Oil additives tend to be an entire sub market of snake oil however liqui-moly additives all perform as advertised in every engine I've used them in,and are the only oil additives I will spend money on.
Just a hint. Once an engine is treated with mos2 you only need half doses to maintain the gained effects.
So you only need 1/2 can now for oil changes,if you decide to carry on with its use.
I post my fuel mileage here in both my c3 and charger and they both get way better mileage than the EPA rating,and guys here basically tell me I've made a mistake in my calculations(not possible because I use 3 different iPhone apps to extablish consumption and they are consistent with the mpg data the vehicles display)or I'm lying,which is preposterous.
Now full disclosure.
I've used mos2 in 6 cylinder and 4 cylinder engines and I found there was very little if any gain in fuel economy however I wasn't trying to fix consumption or any issue,just testing to see if fuel consumption could be improved,and I found that the 6 cylinder engines did improve by 2mpg or less,which in my opinion isn't enough to say yes it helps because wind is a bigger factor,as is good or bad fuel.
I saw no changes in any 4 cylinder engine it was used in as far as fuel consumption however in all tested engines they idled much more smoothly with less vibration and at speed on the highway my moms old caliber especially smoothed right out to the point I could barely tell the engine was running.
Prior to mos2 in the caliber at 70mph the steering wheel would buzz from the engine vibrating. After mos2 no more buzzing whatsoever.
Mos2 will wash out so you need to use it at every interval in order to maintain the effects.
As I've already said I've found that half doses are all that's needed once the first full dose has been run.
This is just my experience. Almost everyone who uses the stuff posts positively here,however there are some negative reviews.
No one remembers the good ones though.

I would not hesitate too use it in your Older Fords! I also believe this additive will benefit a daily driver more then a auto that sits for weeks at a time... due to the rumors of dropping out of suspension while sitting for periods of time... {Which I believe Trav actually has proof of this}...

My 2014 5.7L Hemi really was quieted and responds well with 300ml per 7qts in the crankcase... My sons 08 5.4L 3V really seems to like the addition... It has never been quieter... Oil Consumption is almost 0 with 10K mile OCI... The 5.4L 3V has 226K miles on her...

I messaged Clevy: Before I ever added M0S2 to my New 5.7L... I trust his experience with this product and I am now a believer that this product does have benefits...

The only reason I added the M0S2 is to hopefully avoid the dreaded Hemi MDS Lifter tick and failure... Which so many Hemi engines seem to acquire...

Originally Posted By: -SyN-
I would not hesitate too use it in your Older Fords! I also believe this additive will benefit a daily driver more then a auto that sits for weeks at a time... due to the rumors of dropping out of suspension while sitting for periods of time... {Which I believe Trav actually has proof of this}...

My 2014 5.7L Hemi really was quieted and responds well with 300ml per 7qts in the crankcase... My sons 08 5.4L 3V really seems to like the addition... It has never been quieter... Oil Consumption is almost 0 with 10K mile OCI... The 5.4L 3V has 226K miles on her...

I messaged Clevy: Before I ever added M0S2 to my New 5.7L... I trust his experience with this product and I am now a believer that this product does have benefits...

Thanks Syn

I try to be honest in the info I post and my experiences with a product. I'm mistaken at times and thankfully we've got guys here who are happy to correct me,which I appreciate. I'm glad it's working for you and in the Ford.
I think the stuff really helps engines with miles of timing chains. Well and lots of pushrods too.

As far as trav goes if he wrote it I believe it. I've never seen it though.
My charger has been sitting. It's gotten the mos2 routine and 10000+ miles on the oil so I'll soon see(likely this weekend)whether that agglomeration Trav noticed is consistent in my application too.
But I'm kinda set in my ways in that I always change my oil after a drive,so it drains out faster. Mixes up any gunk that may be on the bottom of the pan helping remove it as well.
If I notice anything worth sharing I'll update this thread.

Clevy has much experience with M0S2, because of him I tried it in my cars(E430 and S2000), the engines seems to perform a little quieter, little more responsive and little better MPG.

I used only 1/3 can per OCI(including initial fill), so if MOS2 didn't do any good for my engines I didn't loose much, $2-3 extra per oil change per year doesn't break my saving account.

The new fill of S2000 is with Pennzoil Platinum UOA kit, so I don't use MOS2 this time, but I'm about to change oil in E430 in 2-3 weeks I will add 1/3 can MOS2 gain.

Just received 4 more cans off of Amazon... So much cheaper per can then local Napa...

I figured I would add 300ml every other oil change... Still less then the recommended dose per 7qts...

I think there's no need to add full dosage after initial use, excess MoS² will just settle to oil pan if used too much. Someone on BITOG warned about it.

Originally Posted By: Nebroch
I think there's no need to add full dosage after initial use, excess MoS² will just settle to oil pan if used too much. Someone on BITOG warned about it.

This has been my experience. After the first treatment only half doses are needed to maintain any benefit that was achieved.

And you're a bit off with the too much comment.
What was said was Trav has a Grand Prix he used mos2 in. It's not a daily driver and can sit for months at a time.
He found that the mos2 settled out to the bottom of the pan. So I don't recommend using it in a vehicle that is not used often.
Example. If you've got a summer car change the oil in the fall. Don't add mos2 until the spring when it will be driven often again. Don't add in the fall when storing it.
Simple.
Just to add. My charger isn't driven often anymore either. More of a trip,fun car,I use the truck for work and errands.
I haven't noticed what Trav did,so it's possible that yes it settles out but once you start driving again it mixes back up. I know Trav to be honest and his advice is always top notch,so I know what he said is true.
All I'm saying is I don't doubt for a moment the mos2 might settle to the bottom if the engine isn't run.
I always change my oil after driving it. Never cold. So if he changed that particular sump load cold,and after sitting for some time then I have no doubt he noticed something strange. I personally haven't had the same experience.
And I use the stuff in everything I own,in every engine I maintain for friends and family and I've never seen the slime or whatever he called it.

I just wanted to clarify what was actually said so anyone who looks is making an informed decision. And that they have all the facts.

I have always had very positive results with Liqui Moly additives and especially with MoS2. Another Liqui Moly's product with wich I've had excellent experience is Ceratec oil additive, really a great product. It's a little bit more pricey than MoS2, but definitely deserves every cent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back