10K Fram

Status
Not open for further replies.
This concerns Fram Xtra Guard pt# CH9972. This is the filter I have for both of my Toyotas. The plan is to run these filters for 10K (OCI is @ 5k changing the filter every other oil change)The vehicles live an easy life, nothing "sever".
Do you guys think this filter is good for 10K ? If there would be an issue, what would the issue be? Thanks.

Cartridge filter, it will be fine. I ran 10k OCI's on Fram cartridge filters with no issues.

That said, they make a Tough Guard version of this filter that is guaranteed to 10k (they also make a 15k Ultra) if you wanted to make sure.

The cartridge will be fine construction wise but the EG doesnt have the capacity higher teir Frams do, but it should make any OEM interval with room to spare.

Run one 10k and see what you think.

All of the Fram filters are guaranteed to last as long as specified in the owner's manual. Fram recommends you change their filters earlier so they make more money, much the same way a lube shop recommends you change oil every 3,000 miles.

I have used Fram tough guard filters over 12,000 miles without a problem.

Use XG9972/FPS9972 instead.

Or better yet, Mahle OX414D1 or Wix 57047 or 57047XP (Napa 7047 or 47047, respectively)

Originally Posted By: gallydif
No stay away from the extra guards! Fram extra guarddiv>

Not lately.

Originally Posted By: gallydif
No stay away from the extra guards! Fram extra guarddiv>

Nonsense. There was a thread posted yesterday where an orange can was dissected. Metal end caps. Well built. To even imply the quality is sub standard is absurd

This is a bit off-topic, but the CG9972 is more expensive than the dealer filter in this application. The OE Toyota filter usually costs me well under $4 and is guaranteed to last the full 10k.

I avoid Fram, Purolator, Wix ... cartridge oil filter for reason that they are no better then OEM and they cost more. For European cars I stay with German brands cartridge filter, they are better built and cost less than Fram ...

This is what I struggle with. The Fram Ultra for my Camry is $10.49 the last I checked at WalMart.
The OEM Denso is $4.62 at the Toyota dealership...

This is the same filter my RAV4 uses. I've only done one oil change since getting it, but I currently have a Fram TG in it. I've looked at the Extragaurd filters, and they are constructed just like the OEM, with just some glue around the inside diameter of the pleats. The TG I'm using now has black plastic end caps. Same with the Ultra. However, I was just at walmart last weekend looking at filters, and noticed they have changed the TG's and instead of the black plastic end caps, they now use a thin, tan colored plastic or epoxy with a felt type seal on both ends. Mine has a start up rattle for a split second when cold, which may be the cam phasers, but I think I'm going to try either an OEM filter, or Fram ultra to see if better flow through the filter will help. Either way, I think I'm going to start running my filters out to every other oci, changing the oil every 5,000miles. Running PYB in it right now.

Last edited:
The extra guard's that I have also have the felt like material on the ends. I have seen the filters with nothing except glue as well as the black plastic cap. Im not sure which would work better. I still have a couple of these Fram filters to go through so you may be changing filter brands befor I do. if your start up noise goes away with the oem or another filter please post. I didn't even contemplate that the oem filter would be cheaper. I will definitely get those from my dealer when the need arises next time around.

I've had good success with FRAM Extra Guard CH9972 filters that were built in the USA.

They have endcaps that aren't just a flat piece of plastic.

I have pulled those out of my Camry at 5,000 miles and they look like new.

I would trust one of those filters for a 10,000 mile OCI.

But FRAM has produced this filter for the last couple of years in China using a less substantial media cartridge.

As such, I quit buying the entry level FRAM for this car.

For 10,000 mile OCI's, I'd use OEM Toyota. FRAM Ultra would work fine too if you want to spend that much for an oil filter.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
I've had good success with FRAM Extra Guard CH9972 filters that were built in the USA.

They have endcaps that aren't just a flat piece of plastic.

I have pulled those out of my Camry at 5,000 miles and they look like new.

I would trust one of those filters for a 10,000 mile OCI.

But FRAM has produced this filter for the last couple of years in China using a less substantial media cartridge.

As such, I quit buying the entry level FRAM for this car.

For 10,000 mile OCI's, I'd use OEM Toyota. FRAM Ultra would work fine too if you want to spend that much for an oil filter.

that reminds me, the TG I have in my car now, with the black plastic end caps, is made in the usa, the ones I saw with the tan plastic/epoxy said made in china on them.

Originally Posted By: wjli
The extra guard's that I have also have the felt like material on the ends. I have seen the filters with nothing except glue as well as the black plastic cap. Im not sure which would work better. I still have a couple of these Fram filters to go through so you may be changing filter brands befor I do. if your start up noise goes away with the oem or another filter please post. I didn't even contemplate that the oem filter would be cheaper. I will definitely get those from my dealer when the need arises next time around.

I will post if there is a change or not. I know noise from the cam phasers was an issue with the 2.5's, but was led to believe it was fixed by my model year, but maybe not. I kinda doubt my local dealer will be very cheap on their filter prices, their air filter price for my car has slowly gone up from $17 to $23 over the last few years (my old scion used the same part number). However, I'd like to try one just to see if its any quieter at start up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back