TRD oil filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was at the Toyota dealership picking up a couple of oil filters for the Camry.
The parts guy asked me if I was interested in them. I was curious. But twice the cost of the Denso ones.

I was thinking with my short tripping it may be "better".
It looks stout.

They are syn media like the Amsoil,Royal Purple filters. I doubt the TRD filters will show ant benefit over the life of the vehicle a few month ago I did a 4.00 mile drive in a 2005 Camry 4 cyl with 250,000 miles the car ran great.It was minimally maintained.

Thanks, wont hurt to try one to see. So its similar to the Fram Ultra then. Interesting. Its about the only TRD thing for the 4 banger...

That might have been a good price for a TRD depending on what they sell the standard one for. Having the Toyota stamp to me is also a plus.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Champ/Fram-made synthetic filter, similar if not identical to the Royal Purple filters.

If this is true I'd be really interested in them. I've ran the RP filters before and really liked them. But the position/location of the filter on my 98 Tacoma makes it really hard to get to so I've been using K&N because of the 1" nut on top. I see that the TRD has a nut too. Would be cool to get that and synthetic media.

My dealership has 20% off on Wednesday's from 4-6. I'll have to call them in the morning for a for a quote.

Not worth the price difference. I used them twice, solid built filter but I guess UOA's would be best way to tell them apart.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Not worth the price difference. I used them twice, solid built filter but I guess UOA's would be best way to tell them apart.
A particle count would be what is needed to tell the difference, there are other more accurate tests but they are costly.

Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
Its about the only TRD thing for the 4 banger...

And thats what you're paying extra for. The TRD label.

Originally Posted By: bvance554

Got a point!!

Got a quote from the local dealer:

$12.75 regular price
$10.84 after discount
$11.64 total cost after tax

$12.84 on Amazon with free Prime shipping

I'd more say that you're not paying extra for anything. It's relatively the same price as Royal Purple and Mobil 1 plus you get the added hex nut to boot.

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch

Got a quote from the local dealer:

$12.75 regular price
$10.84 after discount
$11.64 total cost after tax

$12.84 on Amazon with free Prime shipping

I'd more say that you're not paying extra for anything. It's relatively the same price as Royal Purple and Mobil 1 plus you get the added hex nut to boot.

That isnt a bad price at all.

Granted I do not know what "TRD" filter my mother's 4Runner TRD Pro uses, but the WIX and Purolator cartridge filters for it are north of $10. I believe Fram makes an Extra Guard and a Tough Guard, but I don't care enough to go out and search for them.

i am running the TRD cartridge filter in my Tundra now... using this truck for severe duty service (mostly towing). Not happy with the TRD over the regular paper Toyota/Denso filters. There is a flow issue with the TRD's for my application. hearing start-up engine rattle that I did not hear with the regular Toyota filters. Also the oil pressure does not seem to get to the regular pressure as quickly with the TRD filters versus the regular Toyota filters. Going with Regular Toyota OEM, or the Hasting paper ones I picked up from RockAuto for about $1.19 each for my next OCI.

Originally Posted By: Hessam
i am running the TRD cartridge filter in my Tundra now... using this truck for severe duty service (mostly towing). Not happy with the TRD over the regular paper Toyota/Denso filters. There is a flow issue with the TRD's for my application. hearing start-up engine rattle that I did not hear with the regular Toyota filters. Also the oil pressure does not seem to get to the regular pressure as quickly with the TRD filters versus the regular Toyota filters. Going with Regular Toyota OEM, or the Hasting paper ones I picked up from RockAuto for about $1.19 each for my next OCI.

Interesting. My thinking is that metal center tube plus the metal core of the TRD filter causes a restriction?

Big premium price.

I use the synthetic Purolator pure one (oversized blue filter) on my Tacoma and it has been fine. (105,000 miles)

For me, the PTR43-00080 TRD filter on Amazon is $15.30, but the same filter, painted Purple instead of black, is about $12.

I am running the Purple one now on my Tacoma. Will probably do 2 OCIs with it.

It was a bit of a splurge. Not sure it will make a difference, but I like having a robust filter when I go off road.

Edit....
I just looked, and the price has dropped from $15.30 to 12.82. $.82 for the nut on the end - might be worth it if you don't have a good filter wrench.

Last edited:
The Camry is a cartridge style filter.

No big nut on the end.

FRAM Ultra is another good option if you're feeling spendy.

It's $10+ at Wallyworld but can be had in oil/filter deals every now and then.

The cheapest place I found online for TRD filters is this Toyota Dealer:

http://www.toyotapartznet.com/partlocato...tegoryID=140626

Most of their TRD oil filters are $9.30... They also have a flat rate $5 priority mail shipping option as long as your order is under $35. And if you like their page on Facebook you get a code for an additional 10% off your order, which will pretty much pay for the shipping costs.

This is where I got my TRD filter, and their customer service was also impressive. The first filter i received had a slight bend in the metal end-cap. I called them, and they quickly sent me a replacement, and told me I could keep the damaged filter. I recommend them highly for anyone looking for TRD filters.

Originally Posted By: Hessam

Interesting. My thinking is that metal center tube plus the metal core of the TRD filter causes a restriction?

That could be the cause. The filter medium is also very thick compared to the stock Toyota/Denso filter, and has much less pleats because of how thick the medium is. It's probably a combination of those factors, but I have definitely noticed the difference.

Like Dave often says, you don't always need to supersize, or pay a big premium for your filters. Most basic quality constructed paper, or cellulose/synthetic mix filters (wix, toyota/denso, hastings, etc..) can handle almost anything that most of us could ever throw at them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back