Firefox tracking protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
So what are they tracking from me?....

Every ounce of Facebook-related activity you do on Facebook or any other site that uses Facebook for comments or "likes" - **even if you do not use it on any given page**.

Wrong! Nothing I write is on Facebook. It's a little white, blank box that pops-up to type comments in.... AT THE NEWSPAPER website. There's even a check-mark below that blank white box for an option not to post this particular sports comments at Facebook dot com.

All Facebook does is employ itself as a server at these sports websites and newspapers. They offer services like this to get folks interested in Facebook and become active there.

I have absolutely no participation at Facebook dot com. I do not even have a save folder for it.

Wrong! Nothing I write is on Facebook. It's a little white, blank box that pops-up to type comments in.... AT THE NEWSPAPER website. There's even a check-mark below that blank white box for an option not to post this particular sports comments at Facebook dot com.

All Facebook does is employ itself as a server at these sports websites and newspapers. They offer services like this to get folks interested in Facebook and become active there.

I have absolutely no participation at Facebook dot com. I do not even have a save folder for it.

If your facebook account is active and logged in (IE the comment section shows your facebook profile pic), the fact you visited that page is known by facebook. They use that data to personalize ads when you are on facebook. they also share that data with companies who use facebook for comments. Those companies get data from facebook about what their typical visitor likes and visits so they can adapt their own advertising targets.

Last edited:
yes, and facebook is in court here now as a government commsiion is sueing them for breach of privacy.

Facebook also collects and keeps data from people who don't have a facebook account, like me...

Originally Posted By: badtlc

If your facebook account is active and logged in (IE the comment section shows your facebook profile pic), the fact you visited that page is known by facebook. They use that data to personalize ads when you are on facebook. they also share that data with companies who use facebook for comments. Those companies get data from facebook about what their typical visitor likes and visits so they can adapt their own advertising targets.

Repeat! There is no data for their personalizing ads. The comment I wrote never appears at Facebook. The only thing Facebook has of me is my profile info.

Repeat! There is no data for their personalizing ads. The comment I wrote never appears at Facebook. The only thing Facebook has of me is my profile info.

With all due respect, man, you have absolutely zero understanding of how tracking and data mining work. You seem to believe that because you use a Facebook-provided comments section on an unrelated web site and not facebook.com that Facebook is somehow less availed to the data you generated. This is simply plain wrong: It does not - I repeat - NOT have to appear anywhere at Facebook for them to mine the data, aggregate it and use it. Selecting to NOT have your comments appear on your timeline has **zero** to do with the issues of tracking and data mining. That check box you click to keep your comments off of your publicly-displayed timeline is simply a feature of a web site.

I am a web developer, by the way.

This is absolutely, disastrously wrong.

The only thing Facebook has of me is my profile info.

And this even more disastrously wrong. I don't know who gave you the "information" that led you to think of these two assertions as fact; but they are plain old, flat out incorrect.

Nothing I write is on Facebook. It's a little white, blank box that pops-up to type comments in.... AT THE NEWSPAPER website.

... Using Facebook's databases. It's called an API - Application Programming Interface. Web sites can easily and freely use Facebook's comments technologies (I employ their "Like" and "Share" buttons on several web sites) without having to maintain and protect their own databases. In return, Facebook happily aggregates your data (which just happens to be THEIR BUSINESS MODEL!!!) and uses it. This enables them to collect data on you NOT JUST AT THEIR WEB SITE; but now, millions of other web sites.

This is precisely why adblockers and anti-tracking technologies have been developed.

So Facebook wants the data where I disagree about Detroit Tiger Miguel Cabrera batting 3rd or Justin Verlander getting pulled off the mound by his manager after seven innings, instead of eight innings..... all written on someone else's website and not allowed by me to be posted at Facebook?

Seriously! They want no part of those comments. There's absolutely nothing there for them to use. They are hoping I engage in the active side of Facebook. Since I do not, then I'm considered an inactive member of Facebook.

There's nothing I write with any data value to Facebook, especially since it's forbidden of them to show anything attached to my name, other than my profile, which I get to hide a percentage of anyways.

If Facebook wants to store my comments and do absolutely nothing useful with them, then what do I care, since there's nothing there to cater to my interests. I mean what's there to sell me by a 2nd/3rd party subscriber....... answer is N-O-T-H-I-N-G.

In the meantime, I cannot change the Privacy true-false settings on About:Config, or I lose the ability to post my sports comments at places like the Detroit News and assorted sports websites.

Last edited:
So Facebook wants the data where I disagree about Detroit Tiger Miguel Cabrera batting 3rd or Justin Verlander getting pulled off the mound by his manager after seven innings, instead of eight innings..... all written on someone else's website and not allowed by me to be posted at Facebook?

Seriously! They want no part of those comments. There's absolutely nothing there for them to use. They are hoping I engage in the active side of Facebook. Since I do not, then I'm considered an inactive member of Facebook.

There's nothing I write with any data value to Facebook, especially since it's forbidden of them to show anything attached to my name, other than my profile, which I get to hide a percentage of anyways.

If Facebook wants to store my comments and do absolutely nothing useful with them, then what do I care, since there's nothing there to cater to my interests. I mean what's there to sell me by a 2nd/3rd party subscriber....... answer is N-O-T-H-I-N-G.

In the meantime, I cannot change the Privacy true-false settings on About:Config, or I lose the ability to post my sports comments at places like the Detroit News and assorted sports websites.

UC is correct here 777. No offense but you really do not understand how insidious FB is, how their model works, nor how they make money.

Unfortunately, multiple sites now require you to log on with your FB or Goog or Yahoo profile in order to post a comment. They're taking the easy way out and might be getting kick-back's from them for doing so. It's all about building your profile though: The more data in it, the more accurate it is, the more timely it is (regular posts & use) and the more $$$ is made by (them) selling it.

This is why I don't allow any code from any of them to run on my browser. I also don't comment on any news sites (though I'd like to on occasion) at all.

The digital divide is indeed very wide, very deep and very insidious.

I think you're being naive. Facebook isn't going to put their little comment box on another company's website simply out of the goodness of their hearts. Ask yourself this: Why does facebook have data centers (yes, centers- plural) all over the place, with more planned? To run the website? No...

This is the simplest example I can give you.....You know how the comment sections on news sites have your facebook profile picture? Do you realize how that shows up? That profile picture is only stored on facebook servers. So the fact that this is pulled is proof that data is being pulled directly from facebook servers even though you are on a news website. There is a lot of communicating between the news site and facebook. This communication gives facebook the data for targeted advertising.

I believe you are naive. Tell me why Facebook wants to store my comment...... "Justin Verlander should have pitched another inning.

Please tell me how they can profit - make a dime off my comment there, or any comment I have on the Detroit Tigers players or game results.

How long would Facebook keep that comment in storage.... 30 days?....... seven years?....... forever? Why would they want to keep it?

Last edited:
In as simple of terms as possible... Your info = dollars. Now ask yourself "Why would they want my info?".

If you don't get that, then no further explaining will get through.

Last edited:
Eric,
Dollars? ... Who would pay 10 cents for what I wrote in those Detroit Tigers posts?

Somebody paid money for what I wrote?...... who wants my baseball analysis data? There are no advertisements in that blank white box I write my comments in. How are they going to attempt selling me something?

They can't at Facebook..... I never go there. When I sign-in to Facebook, it's at the Detroit News. Again, my sign-in is inside that blank white box at a newspaper company.

So who wants my data and how are they going to contact me into buying something? The correct answer is they do not - cannot - will not, unless owner Mike Ilitch likes my Tigers Talk and wants me as the next manager of the Detroit Tigers.

Last edited:
I Private Window most everywhere.
I have Adblock Plus
I log-out websites like this one when leaving
I remove cookies daily
I remove History daily

Good luck to all web trackers. You'll need it. And best of all, I am a Facebook member that only uses it's server at a 2nd party website where I Private Browse, do not participate there at Facebook or visit their website. I sign-in to Facebook to post Tigers Talk comments for a couple minutes, then sign out by removing the cookie in my Privacy link at Firefox.

So good luck to all-you Facebook trackers too. If you want to waste your time attempting to track me, have at-it.

To all "I give up" replies here, that's funny. Never give up folks. People like me are here to help you avoid the trackers. Maybe I even helped that web designer in this thread.

Last edited:
I believe you are naive. Tell me why Facebook wants to store my comment...... "Justin Verlander should have pitched another inning.

Please tell me how they can profit - make a dime off my comment there, or any comment I have on the Detroit Tigers players or game results.

How long would Facebook keep that comment in storage.... 30 days?....... seven years?....... forever? Why would they want to keep it?

They aren't saving your comment. They are tracking the sites you visit and comment on. The types of stories/news that you are reading/commenting on. They use this to track your interest and develop targeting advertising just for you.

If you want to stop all tracking, you have to cut the social links using a social blocker (ublock can do it).

Last edited:
Good luck with that.

One last time... As soon as the info/comment/whatever leaves your keyboard and you hit "enter" (and sometimes you don't even need to hit "enter/submit"), they have it... It's theirs. Period. As an example: I once partially filled out a form for a shop based repair website but decided I didn't want to finish and pursue. Well, some time later they contacted me via email and asked why I hadn't finished. I never once clicked the submit button. The data that I entered in the form was theirs.

Regardless of if they can "track" you or cater adds to you, they still have it. They will still mine the info you leave in a comment box and use it to their advantage. That might be selling it to another company so that company can use it to cater adds to you in specific or people of your demographic. Just because you're not there to receive it, doesn't make it any less valuable. You can jump through all the hoops you want- it simply doesn't matter. Facebook is a business- and they are going to do EVERYTHING POSSIBLE to maximize revenue- and by accepting their terms when you signed up, you allowed them to.

People are giving up on you, because you're being so stubborn. You're telling uc50ic4more, a guy who does this for a living that he's wrong- so what are your qualifications?

Originally Posted By: badtlc

They aren't saving your comment. They are tracking the sites you visit and comment on. The types of stories/news that you are reading/commenting on. They use this to track your interest and develop targeting advertising just for you.

If you want to stop all tracking, you have to cut the social links using a social blocker (ublock can do it).

Yup. It's not exactly what the posts are, but the type of sites and topics that are mostly clicked on. This type of tracking is like a GPS for the internet. Just like attaching a GPS unit to your car. The people tracking the car will not know what was said inside the car, but they will know exactly what places the car visited, how often etc.
However with internet, the comments can be easily stored as well. I suspect that there are probably algorithms on the servers that do pick up on certain key words.

This information is extremely valuable in today's world. Yes, the majority of people either have no clue or simply don't care about the tracking, but it is being done and to make money, therefore that information is valuable. Why give it away for free?

It is naïve to think that companies like Google and Facebook would invest millions, if not billions of dollars in data storage centers around the globe to store useless information.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back