Why not PYB for my app

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2012 Nissan Pathfinder with a VQ40DE V6 that I change the oil every 6,000 miles to keep the warranty happy. I have been running Mobil 1 non EP for the last 20,000 the truck has 30k now. The question is am I wasting money dumping M1 that soon? Would I be better just running say PYB? Am I gaining anything with M1 over PYB for a 6,000 mile OCI ?

It depends.

What exactly is the required spec. If pyb carries this approval then no,you gain nothing by running a short interval with a lube capable of longer intervals.

Yes, running M1 over 6k intervals is worth it over cheaper dino oil. Think of it this way, at 3k miles M1 will have a higher TBN than PYB. You want a higher TBN to neutralize acids and the cascading chemical effects better.
Full syns meeting higher specs typically have lower wear rates too.
You can get by with PYB ok, yet M1 is worth it.

I certainly wouldn't be running 6000 mile OCIs with M1EP. If PYB meets the requirements of your engine, it should work fine. Or maybe consider a name brand syn blend. If you really want to use a full synthetic, you could go with a cheaper one like QSUD.

Yes the EP is wasteful overkill IMO. For 6k oci runs under warranty why not spend an extra buck and use the Gold synblend Pennzoil?

Pyb will do it though it has a starting TBN that is in HDEO territory and it is crazy good in its own right.

It all depends on how clean you want to keep your engine.

Will PYB keep your engine varnish-free at 6000 miles between drains ? I doubt it.

For 6k, PYB is fine. But if you want a little more protection, you can simply get the cheapest synthetic on sale, like the Havoline synthetic at AAP for $20. A nice happy medium between PYB and M1
smile.gif

Walmart Super Tech full synthetic is $17.47 for a five quart jug at my local store. It's what I would run if I used a full synthetic.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Walmart Super Tech full synthetic is $17.47 for a five quart jug at my local store. It's what I would run if I used a full synthetic.

^ ^ ^ THIS ^ ^ ^

And it stands a good chance of keeping the engine varnish-free for 6000 miles.

Originally Posted By: zach1900
Lower wear rates with synthetic?
I've never seen any proof this is correct.

...1) Oil specs that only synthetics meet have more demanding wear rate specs.

...2) Kendall did a 100k mile Ford taxi cab teardown and showed diff wear, dino vs. synth.

...3) I read a tech paper just last week where the engineers claimed Grp3/4 oils had less timing chain wear than Grp2 oils.

...4) Page 12 of http://energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2014/07/f17/ft014_qu_2014_o.pdf

...5) Synthetics flow better cold, less wear that way.

...6) Deep into engineering, its due to higher EHL film thickness behavior, as in http://www.oetg.at/fileadmin/Dokumente/oetg/Proceedings/WTC_2001_files/html/M-22-P52-204-BERCEA.pdf and http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10402009908982255

IMHO...Save your money and run the superb PYB for your 6K mile OCI's. PYB Group III+ with a terrific add pack.

You can always blend in a mix of a couple of quarts of PPP or Shell full synthetic for your own blend.

Last edited:
6,000 mile OCI ? You never mentioned the kind of driving you do.
% Hwy...% City...Tow...Off Road?

Some of you guys need to polish up on your reading comprehension skills. He said he is currently running Mobil 1 Non-EP oil, not the EP version.

For the miles you are driving, the PYB would be fine especially if it's a lot of Hwy driving.

Wayne

I will probably be using PYB in my 4runner for my next OCI, I currently run PP but I'm curious to compare this OCI's Blackstone at 7k with a PYB Blackstone at 5k, really just for curiosity's sake at because this is BITOG.
banana2.gif
grin2.gif

Last edited:
I guess it depends on budget. To me, even if pyb is 10$ per 5qts (i assume its 14-15$ when not on sale) versus say 24-25$ for a quality syn, i have no trouble spendingthe extra 15-20$ on the syn..thouvh the price difference is more like 10$ when i buy oil. If money is a factor, why not go with supertech syn? Literally 3$ more for piece of mind, though im sure PYB will work just fine. Just remember you are asking an opinion from oil snobs..i know a few ppl who used PYB to get rid of theirrides due to issues other than engine oil related. I think most engines can handle alot of abuse.

Originally Posted By: JEL01
I will probably be using PYB in my 4runner for my next OCI, I currently run PP but I'm curious to compare this OCI's Blackstone at 7k with a PYB Blackstone at 5k, really just for curiosity's sake at because this is BITOG.
banana2.gif
grin2.gif

I'm curious too.

+1

Originally Posted By: mongo161
IMHO...Save your money and run the superb PYB for your 6K mile OCI's. PYB Group III+ with a terrific add pack.

You can always blend in a mix of a couple of quarts of PPP or Shell full synthetic for your own blend.

Think of it this way. The over the road semi trucks are running over 1,000,000 miles on Conventional oils,their engines cost more than our whole vehicles. If syn oil made engines last longer would't all semi trucks run syn oil? Think about it. Syn oils do have advantages only if you need or use the advantages. Most peoples mindsets think of the marketing comparing 1970s conventional oils to syn oil . Syn oils are great for below freezing starts !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back