Gas pumps and new credit cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
because of fraud?

I wonder if that super secure chip means that my account will instantly be charged the right amount, instead of $1, with "more to follow later."

At least two local stores here told me , "Those things don't work so we disconnected them and went back to the swipe." Yet all the local Wal-Marts have the chip readers running fine. Local gas stations appear to have made no effort to install chip readers.

We have had Chiped cards for years. I have not had a problem, just Tap my card to authorize the amount 'up to' what I might pump.

I'm only charged for what I pump.

On a recent trip to the States, it seemed strange to encounter non chip checkouts.

The magstripe can be easily copied to multiple cards, the chip cannot.

My guess is retailers can still use the magstripe for a period of time, but will pay a higher % transaction fee.

These new chip readers have been full of problems. Walgreens has them and they're slow, and it didn't ask for my PIN. I didn't like that.

I was at the vet and they couldn't even use my card, the transaction wouldn't go through and they said that's how most transactions on it have been. Had to go to an ATM and get cash.

Went to a local diner and it took 4 tries to get it to work, the cashier said that's how it always is. And when they try to swipe it the card reader won't let it go through, says it has to scan the chip and then it gets errors.

Was at a Chase ATM and now it keeps your card while you use it, last person forgot their debit card because it has to keep it to scan it. It was night time and I put it in the late night deposit box.

This is all ridiculous. If it doesn't ask for a PIN then what's the point? Anybody can be using my card.

I think it has to do with cost to implement across the USA. They are all in use here and work fine. I know most places in the USA still accept swipe. Criminals arealready working on finding ways to defeat the new technology..so will we ever stay ahead? Will need to keep changing technology.

Probably will be mandatory at some point. The liability for fraud will shift to the retailer instead of the CC company. I bet the businesses that don't have the new readers will face decent hikes in their insurance premiums if they choose not to switch.

I wonder if it would be better if every transaction called your cell phone for you to authorize.

Because of all this monkey business with computers, transactions, credit cards and identity thief I'm doing everything I can with cash.

I had an identify theft problem a few years ago and it was a real mess. I was able to find the person by setting up a honey pot and tracing all the hits through the agency I worked for. I turned over the info to the police and was told if I contacted that person they'd arrest me. They finally followed up on my info and found a lot of other stuff going on and arrested this guy and several others as well.

My credit card is a debit only card and I keep the account stripped to the bare minimum and have no reoccurring charges. My home is in a trust and everything else is out of the way. Now if someone gets my identity they get very little. I'm a zero for a FICO score and a search will show that I own nothing. Being debt free and using cash is very comforting.

A cc reader costs some amount of money and lasts some amount of time. A gas pump is a far more integrated system than a terminal in a store. I suspect we will see these at some point as the next ten pumps start coming into play.

The chip type scanners have been in use here in businesses small and large for a while. I use the chip whenever I can, and it is a tad bit slower, but never had any issues.

I think that the problem with implementation of chip cards in the US is that they are not doing the double security of chip card plus PIN keypunch at the point of transaction, for all places. They are doing chip card insert plus signature (no PIN) which is no better than card swipe, because the chip can be skimmed and duplicated, just like the magnetic stripe. Funny that Canada and Europe have had this technology for years; apparently it is late in the US because there are over 10,000 credit card issuing banks, versus only hundreds in Canada and Europe. Getting them all to agree to an standard and absorb the extra cost was a problem.

The U.S. card clearing houses should have jumped on this earlier. There's really no excuse, because one of my businesses uses Chase Payments from the States, with chip cards and with no hiccups. Gas pumps here with just a swipe are just about finished. I think Petro-Canada has been hanging on them for a while, but Esso and Shell and Husky switched over ages ago, over two years ago for Esso.

Up here, it will be "mandatory" sooner rather than later, in that the retailer will have no liability protection from fraud for non-chip transactions. And, has already been pointed out (and as happens here already) non-chip transactions just cost the retailer more.

Originally Posted By: PFP
Ibecause the chip can be skimmed and duplicated, just like the magnetic stripe.

Uh no.
Nobody is saying it's flawless or theft and fraud proof, but to say it can be "skimmed just like the mag strip" is not right.

That's as reductive as the "criminals don't follow the laws so why have laws" argument that gets trotted out in the gun debates.

Australia has had the chipped cards for the few years too. Transactions of under $100 don't require you to enter a PIN, just tap and go, works pretty much instantly.

Chip cards have been used in Canada and Europe for years. The combination of a chip card and a password reportedly reduces credit card fraud by a huge percentage (something like 80 or 90%). And they work very well.

Sounds like there are some teething problems - but it`ll be fine once the bugs are sorted out.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
The magstripe can be easily copied to multiple cards, the chip cannot.

My guess is retailers can still use the magstripe for a period of time, but will pay a higher % transaction fee.

If retailers don't upgrade, they will be responsible for fraud charges. So it's a risk to them, save money by not upgrading and be responsible for fraud charges or upgrade and pay for the upgrade. Maybe it's not that bad at a gas station, at a retailer you could spend several hundred in one transaction so it's a lot to absorb if it's fraudulent, but I guess you can only pump so much gas at a gas station, especially with the price of gas down these days.

I've wondered the same myself. In the past year my credit card info has been stolen and used twice. The last time they had the PIN and withdrew cash. After the first time I began paying in cash only... For everything except for gas. I know where my credit card info was stolen (probably twice). I have a new card with the chip, but can't use it anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back